Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
As some of you may know, I am trying to re-create a chevy dealership "parts room" in my garage. Saw an interesting photo in the post-CTO show pics*. Looking for any info on the below chevy cylinder block assembly sign(size, years run, etc). Any info/insights are greatly appreciated. smile

*Big thanks to John (oilcanman87) for letting me use his photo.

Thanks,
-Paul

image.jpeg
Genuine Chevrolet sign of question

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Man, it's been a while since I saw one of these racks? I remember them in our local Chevy dealership parts dept. This had a stove bolt short block on it. I'm remembering the early sixties here? Nice find. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I am bringing a six cylinder block chevrolet stand to Iowa Gas show.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Such assemblies were priced just above $100 in the 50's so for that price I would think 1940's vintage. Likely a straight 6 shortblock.

I've seen stands like this used for both sales and for demo in dealerships. Sometimes they are on wheels, sometimes they are stationary. I don't know if the Auto companies in general quit offering these to dealerships to order as a promotional. As far as being at a dealership in general I would suppose it really depended on the dealership and how much of it's business it devoted to parts handling versus general service.

Most people think dealerships got stuff for free from the main company, but most of these upsell advertising had to be purchased unless it was advertising a new product the auto company wanted to push.

As a kid and even young adult in the 80's I remember seeing shortblock displays in some dealerships but not others. And nowadays I see cutaways and such at the big car shows like Turkey Rod Run and of course the big auto shows.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank guys, I was hoping it was used during the stovebolt years. The plan is to use with a fully assembled '54 chevy 235 stovebolt. My fabricator is currently making a custom engine stand for it and I wanted to somehow incorporate a sign like it into the build.
The stand from the photo above doesn't look stout enough for my motor... I assume it holds just the bare block? dry weight specs on the 235's show them about 600lbs (block,head,crank,guts,bell-housing, etc... excluding tranny) which would probably crush that stand. frown

Tankar, do you know the rough dimensions of the sign?

Thanks,
-Paul

Last edited by Redfishangler; Tue Jul 19 2016 07:48 PM. Reason: bad grammar
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Paul, Your assumption is correct. A short block was a base block rebuilt with crank, cam and pistons, nothing more so naturally much less weight. Remember, this was when anyone could do an engine swap under the shade tree out back. Cars had not evolved to the electronic beasts that they are now. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved