Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#66161 Tue Oct 18 2005 09:04 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Just in case you haven't heard, the petroliana AUCTION OF THE YEAR for 2006 is scheduled for January 27-29 at the Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Kentucky. That's when our good friend Rex Benson and his lovely wife Nita put up their amazing collection of oil & gas globes, signs, cans, etc. for auction to the highest bidder. At least 1100 lots will offered including about 170+ globes, with several being the only ones known to exist. Also included is probably the largest collection of KYSO items, and tons of Mobil stuff.

We've had lots of large oil & gas auctions in the last few years.......in 2003 the highlight was GPM auction (Jeff Pederson), in 2004 it was Roy Reed's, and this year Gary Runyon's collection topped the list. For 2006 Rex's auction will certainly be the biggest and best. I just spent 3 days helping the folks at Aumann Auctions photograph and catalog the items and I'm sure all of you will find at least one item they can't possibly live without......I've already ID'ed about 20 things that I sure would love to own!!!

Check out the Aumann Auction website (www.aumannauctions.com) for a few pictures. They're planning to have the complete catalog online before Thanksgiving. Lot's of rare and high quality pieces, plus plenty of lower priced, more common items..........something for everyone. Sparta is located about 50 miles south of downtown Cincinnati.

So save all your nickels and dimes (or maybe take out another 2nd mortgage on the house) and make plans to be there for all the fun!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#66162 Tue Oct 18 2005 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Richard,
You only found twenty items you want? There are at least 50 globes that I'd love to have. If I save up I might be able to afford one or two.......champagne taste, beer budget.
Rex has been talking about this for a year and a half. Now its time for someone else to enjoy the items in his amazing collection.
This will be a spectacular sale with a lot of signs, globes, and cans from Mobil, Kyso, Atlantic, Sohio, Ashland, etc.
See ya at the auction!!!!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#66163 Wed Oct 19 2005 08:32 AM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Richard and Bob,

You guys are right. We were there Friday and saw what an impressive collection that Rex has acquired. I will definetly be there for the sale.

Thanks, Phil

Thanks, Phil
#66164 Wed Oct 19 2005 07:46 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Thanks for all the kind words guys.....Hope all of the oldgas crew will be there its going to be a good one.We have been working hard to make this the best auction possible.The Kentucky Speedway is a great location.
Here is the first flyer and some pictures.The catalog will be ready before thanksgiving.

Richard and Dwaine taking the Pontiac down.

Aaron Hop explaining to Dan Matthews what AT means....

Two of the best guys in the hobby Lonnie Hop and Aaron grading the globes.

REX LIKES LIFE

#66165 Tue Oct 25 2005 05:40 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
JIM POTTS PLACED MY AUCTION ON THE EVENTS PAGE WITH A LINK TO THE AUCTION SITE "THE KENTUCKY SPEEDWAY" AND A AUMANN LINK TO SOME OF THE ITEMS BEING SOLD THANKS JIM.
A BEFORE THE AUCTION PICTURE FOLLOWED BY A NOW PICTURE.

WHERE DID THE SIGNS GO

THE PILE

MORE STACKS AND A GLOBE HAMMER

SEE YA AT PEOTONE ITS SOLD OUT INSIDE
REX LIKES PEOTONE

#66166 Tue Oct 25 2005 06:22 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
rexs about how many chrysler plymouth dodge mopar desoto signs iam going to be biding on come in january i've all ready started selling things on ebay that i don't need for this auction i hope i'll win some thing

#66167 Wed Oct 26 2005 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Roger wants to know what that stuff is growing on Aaron Hops face? Looks like whiskers. Man, I know know that I am getting old!! Someone bring me a walker! LOL

#66168 Wed Oct 26 2005 09:02 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
HEY MOPARMAN1977 WHEN YOU PLAN AHEAD LIKE YOU ARE YOUR BOUND TO HIT AT LEAST A COUPLE OF HOMERUNS AT THE AUCTION........YOU HAVE SUM NICE STUFF.THE CATALOG WITH PICTURES WILL BE ON-LINE IN 3 WEEKS.
ROGER... LONNIE AND AARON ARE A GREAT TEAM A WORLD OF KNOWLEDGE.......AARON IS A COLLEGE STUDENT... WHERE DID I LEAVE MY WALKER? O' I'M USEING IT.
REX LIKES AUCTIONS

#66169 Wed Oct 26 2005 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yea Rex, I know what you mean. Aaron is a fountain of INFORMATION, and I am a fountain of MIS-INFORMATION. It must be the old-timers diesase.

#66170 Wed Oct 26 2005 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Buy the way Rex, I see the most prominant item of the auction flyer is that Olds globe you beat me up on. I bet you do pretty well with it as it is the only original I know of.

#66171 Thu Oct 27 2005 06:16 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Rex,

If you don't mind me asking, WHY are you selling out your superb collection?? I noticed a few questioning comments in previous threads but no answers. Of course, it could be none of my business.

We all know that people come and go in any hobby. However, there seems to be a growing trend in the last couple of years of long time collectors selling out. Just like any market, I'm concerned that this trend is a sign of a "top" in this market.

Anyone care to comment??

Paul

#66172 Thu Oct 27 2005 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul,
This STUFF has to be past around eventually. WE CAN'T TAKE IT WITH US !

Like I have said MANY times.
WE NEVER OWN IT, WE ARE CARETAKERS OF THE PAST FOR THE FUTURE GENERATIONS.

Rex,
What are you going to do with an EMPTY building ? Grow mushrooms or start a TURKEY RANCH ! LOL
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-27-2005).]

#66173 Thu Oct 27 2005 09:20 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Dick,

Well, yes. I totally agree with what you're saying. But that reasoning more or less applies to those who have gone on to the great gas station in the sky. I'm wondering why the long time, still living collectors are selling out. Could it be for valid reasons, like astute estate planning or just plain cashing out at the top??

Paul

#66174 Thu Oct 27 2005 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I hope that when it's my time to pass this STUFF on, I will get it done. I don't want to burden my wife with the task.
db

#66175 Fri Oct 28 2005 08:00 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Rex I want to say that you have a very very impressive collection. I am also looking forward to meeting you at Peotone along with the other fellow gas nut that will be there. I also agree with you to Dick why burden your loved ones with the disposal of our collection. When the older generation reaches the top of the mountian the younger ones like myself are climbing it. I am sure that it would be real hard to see your collection being sold at a auction. I am sure Rex will shed a tear when it is done. But all in all it is nice to know the other mountian climbers will enjoy a piece or two of the pie untill they reach the top. I know me & my wife have already talked about what to do with my collection if something happened to me. The kids get something then the rest will go & I am only 35. Well that is my two cents & cant wait to see alot of you guys at the auction. It will not want to be missed

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved