Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#665032 - Wed Aug 31 2016 06:45 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: eric grinder]
JimT Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cleveland,Ohio U.S.A.
Steve, Ill email you pictures of mine. Anyone that wants to see what differences from real deal
+ I can find can PM me I guess as I dont want to have this lying POS improve his chances of screwing somebody else with his next batch by posting the pictures here.

Edited by JimT (Wed Aug 31 2016 06:46 PM)
Edit Reason: ad "lying"

#665034 - Wed Aug 31 2016 06:53 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: JimT]
Steven C. Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: MICHIGAN
Originally Posted By JimT
Steve, Ill email you pictures of mine. Anyone that wants to see what differences from real deal
+ I can find can PM me I guess as I dont want to have this lying POS improve his chances of screwing somebody else with his next batch by posting the pictures here.

Exactly Jim! What a shame we cant even enjoy our hobby on our own site!! But better safe than sorry!!
Look forward to the pics!!!

#665038 - Wed Aug 31 2016 07:00 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Done4 Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Michigan, Union Pier
Jim, your over your PM limit and I sure would like to see the real deal, thanks Les.

#665046 - Wed Aug 31 2016 07:34 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
henlovestoys Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I do not believe anyone can create an exact copy of a sign from a "low resolution" JPEG image.

Then, the biggest issue dealing with porcelain signs, IMO:

1- Color matching
2- Shelving

My 2-cents worth!

#665085 - Thu Sep 01 2016 06:19 AM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
redindianguy Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I agree with Hen . They cannot match the depth of the old porcelain . I imagine the ovens they use put a lower quality porcelain on for what ever reason .

#665162 - Thu Sep 01 2016 09:10 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: redindianguy]
JimT Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cleveland,Ohio U.S.A.
Do you not see the shelving on the sign Steve posted?

#665170 - Thu Sep 01 2016 10:15 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Veteran Member

Yah, this sign actually has very nice shelving. Almost to good maybe.

Filed a refund with ebay and the seller if fine with it. No problem at all. So I'm sending it back. If I could afford it, I would just destroy it. But I can't throw away $700! So it will unfortunately be back in circulation.

But I know what to look for now on these signs.

Attachments
IMG_20160901_230722590.jpg

IMG_20160901_230735022 (2).jpg

Edited by Steve C. (Thu Sep 01 2016 10:15 PM)

#665195 - Fri Sep 02 2016 08:58 AM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: advertologist]
SODAMAMAK Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: at the country store..
Randy, are you saying that all these listings bu this person are fake, even the dated ones.
Joe

#665219 - Fri Sep 02 2016 02:33 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
jecos Online   content

Loc: CT, USA
A few months ago I attended a local auction that had several signs listed. One of the signs was a Fisk Tires porcelain flange sign. In trying to place a value on it, the only info I could find was for three that had sold by rustyrelicsart on ebay, all within about a month or 2 of each other. One of them was the one in the auction (I could tell by the chip pattern on both sides). I stayed away from it because of the source but unfortunately (for the guy who ended up with it), it sold quite a bit higher than the ebay buyer paid.

#665232 - Fri Sep 02 2016 03:15 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Veteran Member

For anyone who wants to send her flowers, here is her return address that I am to ship the sign to.

Attachments
Screen Shot 09-01-16 at 03.59 AM.JPG

#665233 - Fri Sep 02 2016 03:26 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Done4 Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Michigan, Union Pier
Have Vito deliver them.

#665234 - Fri Sep 02 2016 03:54 PM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Mike M. Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Western, WI.
Originally Posted By Steve C.
For anyone who wants to send her flowers, here is her return address that I am to ship the sign to.

Strange that their auctions say Plymouth, Indiana???

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.

#665307 - Sat Sep 03 2016 10:25 AM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Veteran Member

Wow!! Now this is very interesting! I found this in an actual Sunoco sales book I have from 1922. It stated the actual size that these signs were issued in. And it doesn't match this Rustyrelics sign I assure you!!!
Also pinpoints the date to at least 1922 anyway. Which is cool to know.

One other interesting note, although the text states the sign is "3 colors", it shows the flange as white. Probably just a printing thing for the book. I dont think the flanges where white. But....??

I blocked it out as not to give away the secret.
If you want to know the size, and your a regular member on here, PM me and I'll tell you what the book said.

Attachments
1922e (2).JPG

Edited by Steve C. (Sat Sep 03 2016 10:27 AM)

#665439 - Mon Sep 05 2016 02:18 AM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Speedracer Online   content
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan, USA (near Chesterfie...
Very cool of you to post their address Steve. I noticed on ebay that rustyrelicsart is located in Plymouth, Indiana.

Did you buy the sign from Rustyrelics or Rustyrelicsart? Did the sign ship from Plymouth or Wisconsin?

Just wondering if their operation is bigger than we realize, involving several people/scam artists in more than one location, or does rustyrelicsart just list there location as Plymouth, IN to avoid conflict.

Edited by Speedracer (Mon Sep 05 2016 02:20 AM)

#665451 - Mon Sep 05 2016 07:38 AM Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics [Re: Steven C.]
Veteran Member

Interesting observation Steve. And now having checked, I see I actually purchased it from RustyrelicsART, out of Plymouth In. But checking the USPS tracking, it shipped out of Clinton Wi.
Hmmmmm??? The plot thickens!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved