Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6656 Tue Feb 10 2004 12:03 PM
41150 Offline OP
OP Offline
Let's hear it from anyone who has purchased the book. Give us a review and your thoughts. Here it goes for me. A lot of work went into this by Tom and Susan Allen. Great pictures, good grading information, great description of materials for cans and tops. You must remeber it does not cover all companies as this is 1 of a projected 6 volume edition. Well worth the $25 including shipping through oldgas. Just click on the advetisement when you see the cans at the top of this sites pages. I was hoping for more west coast companies but really enjoyed what I did get. Felt pretty good about the prices that they put on the cans. Some were cheaper than what I would put them at and others higher. All in all on a 10 point scale I give them a 9. Ted

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#6657 Tue Feb 10 2004 12:08 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
thanks scott / ted ... guess i'll get the check in the mail....

#6658 Tue Feb 10 2004 12:12 PM
41150 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey kman. Use the oldgas site here and they get credit and it is mailed directly by Jim Potts. You can use paypal also. Ted

#6659 Tue Feb 10 2004 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I personally think it is the best oil can book ever produced. It has over 1100 color pictures and the company that each can is from and what year it was produced with a wide range of brands.

As far as the pricing goes I thought the top end cans were priced to low with the current market value.

Ted, Their will be more west coast flavor in some of the other volumes. This book has lots of cans that I have never seen before. I have had my book for months and still look at it weekly. For the price I think it is a steal.

Scott in Kansas City (quartcans)

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#6660 Tue Feb 10 2004 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I GOT MY BOOK SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, AND THOUGH I THINK IT'S NICELY DONE AND LAYED OUT TO A NICE A-Z STANDARD, THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL TIMES WHEN I USED IT FOR REFERENCE AND A CERTAIN BRAND WAS NOT THERE...AT ALL! SHELL, GULF, FLYING "A", VEEDOL, CITIES SERVICE, AND LION JUST TO NAME A FEW. BUT I GUESS WITH NEW WORKS IN PROGRESS....I WILL JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#6661 Tue Feb 10 2004 06:24 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I have purchased 2 oil can books and I felt like they were both a waste of money. The first was Collecting Oil Cans by W. Clark Miller & Sabra Sonewald. It's just an awful book. Now I will say that American Oil Cans Volume 1 is MUCH better than that other one. My largest complaint is I don't understand why they have prices and pictures on cans in the $3 range!!! For example they have 2 pages on ESSO, and Kendall which hav about 2 good cans. Then you look at Beeline and they only have one metal version???? It just seems like there are a ton of common cans and not much on the more rare cans.

#6662 Tue Feb 10 2004 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John , I somewhat share your sentiment. Although I really like the book ...its not enough. I do know they are planning to put out more volumes, but one evry couple of years doesnt begin to wet this oil freaks appetite. I know it had been mentioned that they were trying to pick up where Ed Loves encyclopedias left off and although they did a great job with color photos and all...I WANT MORE. Like Doc TAG ..I too must be patient. Heck, I have been waiting for Freds Book for Years "C'Mon Buddy , me want me wants"..LOL Personally in my opinion..less time touching up the cans in photoshop and more time putting together the volumes for the marketplace. I dont mind seeing cans with "Character" if I can have a complete catologe. My 3 cents (Durn inflation..LOL)

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#6663 Tue Feb 10 2004 09:47 PM
Online Cool
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Even with 1100 pictures, it is true that every can and company are not listed. But it is still the best book we have. Tom and Susan are working on Volume Two.

Click on this image to see more about it and to order.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved