Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Just saw this morning that Facebook is opening up a new part of their company that would list classified ads. I know they have separate things people can do now, but this looks like You can see everything without having to be a member of a club or friend list. It says they are not going to be the middle person on this, so hopefully there will not be a charge.

We will have to wait and see.

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Nobody cares I guess because they must be all on facebook.

Craig
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Heard it was called FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE.When I go there,nothing but an empty homepage..
https://www.facebook.com/fbmarketplace/

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can anybody still get in the Facebook site Gas Station/Country store auction?

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's really quite sad and I believe we are witnessing the death of oldgas.com. (As a marketplace) I've noticed the decline of activity here for quite some time now. I've had several oldgas members tell me that they simply never look here any more. When I asked why, they all replied, "Facebook is where it's at man!"

I just don't get the whole Facebook thing, never have. The answers from many that I asked were, 1) not that much offered for sale any more here, and 2) "wanted" ads largely going unanswered.

I guess I cannot blame anyone, I see it too. If you collect or buy and sell, you have to go where the market is. Still sad....And NO, I am not on Facebook and have no desire to be.

Last edited by 57-Chevy; Sat Oct 08 2016 07:22 PM.

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nothing will ever compare to Oldgas for the knowledge and where the love of the hobby is evident.
The other sites are hot now, just like beanie babies used to be.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with KZ. I am not on face book and am not interested in buying and flipping for a quick profit. It has been said here many times the thrill is in the hunt. When I do have a question on value, originality or restoration tips, OG is where I am comfortable.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This forum is always changing. In the early days it was about sharing info, pictures of the things we collect, how-to info on pump restorations, etc. Then the focus shifted to include more reproductions. After that it became more focused on value questions, picker/dealer marketplace. Somewhere along the line there was more focus on identifying unmarked reproductions.
I'm not convinced that facebook is where it's at for buying and selling. In the past year or so I've sold 22 globes or sets of lenses on oldgas and 2 on facebook.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I look at many sites including FB and Old Gas several times a day. I still like Old Gas the best for knowledge, buying, & selling. There has been a decline on Old Gas since the passing of DB, which is sad. Seems like on FB most people are looking for a quick flip for MAXIMUM profit. Sometimes it's not all about the money...

Last edited by Coops 427; Sat Oct 08 2016 06:51 PM.

-Matt
C
C
As a younger collector (30) in the gas and oil hobby I cannot thank all of you guys enough. The information and knowledge I have aquired from this site is invaluable. With so many people out there trying to rip others off with fake stuff (which I have been burned by) I would have never none without oldgas. I am very grateful for all on this site that has helped me and believe this site is the place to go to

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not on Facebook either. I have looked at my better half's account before, looking for gas and oil stuff.

One thing I seemed to notice, if you go to a gas/oil page on FB, the items seem to trickle down in the order they were posted. Can you actually search for a specific item, or do you have to scroll down through all of them and browse until you find something (it seems to take forever)?

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Steve, you can actually search for keywords within each group. You can search for that item in a "for sale" format or in an "all posts" format. It is very easy. As to the debate here, I too search both oldgas and FB multiple times a day. What has really stifled my oldgas time is the difficulty with resizing images for placement within the oldgas categories. I am working off an iPad and no matter how many times I try to make it work, it fails. Thus, it limits greatly my ability to showcase an item here "for sale", "for trade", "wanted", or to ask about an item by including a picture. This site still delivers the most bang for the buck knowledgewise for those of us whom value the history of an item over the value of it ultimately. Just my 2 cents worth and I am proud to still call this site #1as a venue for my escape into the past.

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Honestly, I hate facebook. It stresses me out just to look at a facebook page!!! No structure. ***** is all over the place. Like Steve said, what is all the ***** in the scroll area of the page? It's posted from all kinds of people. Is it for sale? It's just a mess to me!!!! And the facebook company, well that's an entirely different conversation.
Now having said that, I do intend to expand on my page sooner or later. (as soon as stupid facebook unlocks it due to a technicality!!! Did I say I hate facebook?) You have to take advantage of every opportunity to find that special piece. Maybe this new facebook format that the OP was talking about will be less stress and more organized to browse through.
One thing I find confusing about some of the above statements is, I have felt that all Oldgas seems to be anymore is a sales sight. It's like 80% of the post are people selling stuff. Rarely does anyone post interesting little historical tidbits or that sort of thing. Or more pics of peoples collections and displays. I would just like to see more interesting conversations from time to time.
I dont know, I just know that Oldgas Rocks and facebook sucks.

Last edited by Steve C.; Sun Oct 09 2016 05:58 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Steve C.
I dont know, I just know that Oldgas Rocks and facebook sucks.

I totally agree with you 100 % on that, I'm not on facebook anymore, everytime I posted something of my collection I received dozen of "is it for sale ? " a few minutes later

I hate facebook too

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved