Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#670075 Tue Oct 25 2016 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask. Would anyone happen to have one of these lids lying around? I don't remember this one ever being repopped but if you know of even one of those I would be interested. Thanks....GB

Bennett lubester lid.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send it off and have one recast. Tell them that you want as much detail as possible. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Might have to go the recast route, Dave. I've never had any of that done so I'll have to run down a place that does it. I know it's been discussed on here before but I never paid much attention......

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Bennett went in business in 1920 making grease dispensers. By 1924 their sales went from $33,000 per year to almost $500,000 per year. Around 1928 they introduced the "High Boy" dispensers, notice I did not say oil dispensers because, while similar to the oil dispensers they also offered alcohol dispensers.

This is the first time I have ever seen a dispenser lid that had the Republic name on them. My literature shows that they were a distributor for Bennett, but not a manufacturer, but then again, maybe Bennett outsourced the making of them to Republic.

Republic's name does not appear anywhere after 1929.

By the way, The High Boys were still for sale in 1960.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the information Jack. I have three of these dispensers, two of which had these lids and one that is missing the lid. They are the double head dispensers. I got two of them from Matt almost two years ago now and when I went to the Fred Stokes show to get them from him I couldn't believe it but there was another one there for sale albeit sans the lid. I just now got them back home to Missouri and was going to try and restore them as a triple set which is why I need the third lid. From what you are saying, it will probably be next to impossible to locate this exact lid if Republic's name was not used on anything after 1929. Still, it makes these a little more special even if it makes the exact restoration a bit more difficult. Thanks for the informative post Jack, you are always a wealth of information!....Gary

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I should have mentioned I have a ton of Bennett literature on the High Boys. Some are shown here: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/bennett%20highboys.htm

While you don't list where you are in Missouri I would suspect you are in the Springfield area, if so, Cindy and I have been discussing spending a week or so going down Rt. 66 (I-44) visiting Ft. Leonard Wood (where I spent over 3 years in the Army in the 1950s), Springfield, where a fraternity brother lives, and of course going on to Branson. Are you open to a visit?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jack, I live just ten miles south of I-44 between Springfield and Joplin. I will send you an email with my address. IF I am home I would love to have you stop by. I will look at the literature you have and if any fits what I have I will let you know Thanks...Gary

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved