Next Thread
Print Thread
#67058 Thu Oct 28 2004 08:41 AM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
Is anyone interested in putting together a show in central Kentucky? I have several people that have expressed interest and have a farm with plenty of ground and room for parking and setting up booths. Any suggestions on when to do it? All help is appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Thanks, Phil
#67059 Thu Oct 28 2004 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Phil, I think it would be great... what part of KY are you looking at? You need to keep it away from Indiana gas and Hoosier Petro Peddlers because you don't want the competition with them in the spring. You know Frosty Wheel is in Nashville, TN. which isn't bad being it's with a car show. You should look at maybe the fall? Do you go to many shows now? If so you could start promoting it. I know it would be expensive but I always thought doing the first show for free would really bring guys in.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#67060 Thu Oct 28 2004 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Phil,
The calendar is getting pretty crowded.
Jan. Columbia, MO.
Frosty Wheels Nashville,TN.
Feb. is open but not a good month for an outdoor show.

Mar. Peotone
Indy Ad Show

Apr. Indiana Gas
Dixie Gas

May Dayton, OH
Petro Peddlers

Jun. Columbus, OH

Jul. Maybe your best shot.

Aug. Iowa Gas

Sep. Indy Ad show
Dixie Gas

Oct. Michigan Gas
Peotone

Shoot for a one day show. See if you can get a petro auction booked for the day before the show.
It would help if there were hotels nearby and you could arrange a show rate.
You might want to contact other promoters and see if they have any tips for you.
GOOD LUCK!
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#67061 Fri Oct 29 2004 05:56 AM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
It would be around Elizabethtown, KY which is around I-65. I would consider doing the first show for free and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice and spread the word, the fall would be a good time.

thanks, Phil

Thanks, Phil
#67062 Fri Oct 29 2004 06:01 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey Phil I'm all for the new show.. I'm about 120 miles from elizabeth town.. report to us any decisions you make in hosting the show.

Ethan

#67063 Mon Nov 01 2004 10:11 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Sounds like a GREAT Idea Phil!!!!!!!
E-Town area or where ever I will be there,after-all Kentucky is the home of (KYSO) Standard Oil Of Kentucky.

REX
KYSOILMAN

#67064 Mon Nov 01 2004 11:24 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
A little off the topic; but would combining a gas show with some other type of popular existing show draw more people/vendors? Say a combo car show/gas show or antique show/gas show, etc. It might save some time and effort working with a promoter of an existing event. Just a thought...

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
#67065 Mon Nov 01 2004 12:21 PM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
I was thinking about a weekend in October due to all the arts, crafts and antique shows that go on in this part of the state at that time. I am pondering this, what do you guys think. I am going to put this on with the help of Frank Kidwell and another gentelman.

Thanks, Phil

Thanks, Phil
#67066 Mon Nov 01 2004 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That would make three shows within a days drive in October. Time off work, and financial constraints that most of us have, would hurt the turn out. Keep in mind that the Chicagoland's show (Peotone) is basically a three day event if you include the seperate auction that uaually takes place on the Friday before the show. I'm not sure, but I think Michigan Gas is a 2 or 3 day affair. All that travel gets expensive. Hotels, meals, fuel. A person could spend a small fortune in travel expenses going to three shows.
I still think July is your best bet.
Most sales are made between vendors. I'd estimate 65%-75% of all sales are between vendors. Combining a gas show with a car show or some other event won't hurt, but I'm not sure it will help. There is some cross over interest there, but concentrate on the petro guys first. You'll get more bang for your advertising buck that way.
What will help is having a petro auction (with QUALITY consignments) in conjunction with the show. There are alot of good auctioneers, but you need one that's familiar with the hobby.Aumman's do an excellent job.
I don't think anyone would expect you to do the show for free. The number of vendors and the expected gate need to be considered when calculating space rental and admission charges. Nobody is going to want to pay $50 for a space if you're only going to have 20 vendors and 100 people through the gate.
Conversly, if you have 100 vendors and can draw 1000 buyers, you'll be able to charge more for the spaces. Be prepared to attend all of the petro and advertising shows to promote your show. Set up a booth and register vendors. Ask everyone in attendance to sign up for a mailing list.
I always liked the featured oil company display at Iowa Gas. Try to add extra things like that. Promoters of successful shows work at it year round.
For financial reasons you'll probably want to incorporate too. Don't forget liability insurance. Check to see if you need any special permits or licenses to put on a show.
Just a few things to consider.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#67067 Mon Nov 01 2004 04:14 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
I usually go to the Bardstown,Kentucky antique show,its a big show with very little of our stuff,this might be a good show to tie in with.I always leave there with a thirst to buy sumthin.A tie in auction,car show,etc. helps get the guys out.
Louisville,Ky has a lot of car,flea market shows,this would be a good tie in also.

REX
KYSOILMAN

#67068 Tue Nov 02 2004 07:47 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
In response to starting another show in Kentucky. I think that would be great, but good luck on trying to find when. With all the shows that are listed in PCM, CTO and on this web site, it is kind of hard trying to find a time that doesn't conflict with another show. We have had the INDIANA GAS SHOW GOING ON OUR 4TH YEAR, it was very rough trying to pick a date. We used to have it in January, cooooold weather, but still had a great turn out. We have moved our show to APRIL 8-9, 2005 TERRE HAUTE IN, AT THE VIGO CO FAIRGROUNDS. We have vendor set up on Fri from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m, the Friday night auction, show on Saturday, and you go home. This has worked out very good for us. I do believe there are more shows going on in may. The first one is Dayton, and then Evansville, Brighton Michigan, and also the Indy swap meet, May is fulllll. As for the fall, you must consider Carlisle Penn, and Hershey in October, also Brighton Michigan, and Peotone Illinois, that is a full month. We all have to consider the travel expenses when we ask these people to come to our show. Sounds good if you can get it all put together, Good Luck.

#67069 Tue Nov 02 2004 07:50 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hey John, Thanks for putting the pictures on of our INDIANA GAS SHOW GLOBE, and the Super Par lense from the Peotone Show. We all had a great time, was good seeing you and talking with you. Sorry again on the Phillips 66 Flite Fuel globe. Have any questions on the email I sent you on the caulk be gone, call me. Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved