Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
HSL Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Greetings to all and happy Holidays!

I am just new to this website and was hoping to find some answers from Vintage Automotive Neon Clock Experts/collectors since I am a total novice in this area. I purchased several older looking clocks at an estate sale here in PA several weeks ago. One of the clocks is a 20" Metal? Lackner Chevy Time Neon Clock. Looks to be in pretty good shape with no cracks. The clock works great when plugged in but the neon light does not come on. I have several concerns about this clock. I am not sure if it is original? Reproduction? Whether it could have been serviced over the years and if any original parts were replaced? I assume replacing any original parts would change the vintage nature of the clock thereby affecting its value? I want to avoid any potential problems in terms of how I can prove or guarantee its original as opposed to modern reproduction? I took several large photos this morning of the clock if anybody would need to see them to help determine its authenticity. I'm not sure if this site allows such large pics. In any case I can always email pics to those who think they can sincerely help me. Thanks in advance and take care. Howard

Last edited by Oldgas; Sun Nov 20 2016 06:28 PM. Reason: edit to conform with Guidelines
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Online Cool
Welcome to Oldgas.com Shop Talk

There is no way to answer your questions without good photos. Refer to the "Welcome...READ FIRST" email you got when you joined today to learn how to upload photos to the forum.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
photo's of Howard's neon clock .. ... cool

IMG_2440[1].JPG IMG_2442[1].JPG IMG_2443[1].JPG IMG_2444[1].JPG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pictures of back of Howard's neon clock .. ... cool

IMG_2445[1].JPG IMG_2446[1].JPG IMG_2447[1].JPG IMG_2448[1].JPG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
picture of my chev neon clock .. ... cool
notice hands & second hands are different
mine may not be right .... your 2ยข

IMG_1431[1].JPG

RANDY
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
The glass face should have a deco style look. I can take a pic
Of mine tommorow.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Thats the face thats right on Randys.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
An original clock, can't tell from pics sides may be repainted, original paint on back, new screws holding mech, I have had this style , the one I have now has a square opening towards the bottom, Randy yours does not have the original nameplate, may have a repo face, looks too perfect for a 50 yr old clock.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shawn, still have orig. nameplate,
I did change the nameplate too
match the car .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool clock! I've restored four lackner clocks so far, have a Chevy time torn apart in the garage as I write this. Looks original to me but a little different than normal. Never seen one with the center hole in the back like that, but it looks original. Probably an early clock maybe? Your missing the yellow printing on the glass (covers up the neon), possibly someone opened the clock and wiped the glass down to clean it. The printing on the glass frequently turns to powder.

If it was me I'd open it up and get the neon working. It's either the transformer or neon tube or both. Easily replaced. IMO, people appreciate safely wired items. Parts available at Wayne's clock. If you decide to replace the name plate, I have some electronic artwork for the dealer lettering you can have so you can get it printed at local sign shop.

Your clock has a clock face in pretty good shape, that's probably the most important part to keep original. The paint on the clock face may be fragile too!

If you need more info feel free to PM me! Paul

Last edited by Paul Bell; Mon Nov 21 2016 07:20 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Here is mine , Hope it's the real deal

Sid

chevy clock new1.jpg chevy clock new.jpg

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Look at the pics that Sid posted. There is a time setting rod that comes out of the side of the can at about the 4:30 position. With Howard's clock, I am thinking someone put in a new movement that has a rear time set, and they bored a hole in the back plate to allow setting the time. Howard, if your clock has the hole in the can at about the 4:30 position, your clock originally had the bottom set movement. Sid's clock also has the correct style hour/minute hands, and correct 1/2 moon second hand.

I agree with Paul 100%. Put the correct movement style and hands back in, replace the outer glass with a repro that has the proper yellow outer trim, and get the neon repaired. I noticed a shadow where the dealer nameplate would have been, so the face could be original. They do make replacement plates, so like Paul said, that is recoverable also.

To me, it looks like the clock has been altered enough over the years that anything you do to the clock moving forward will not diminish value, in fact it will help build the value back up. Plus with the correct hands and functioning/safe neon, it will look killer. Just my humble opinion.
Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a thought. I have two originalLackners With the same style can.One is a Chevy Time. They both have a completely different, but original back on them. My Chevy Time has a pretty good size rectangular access hole towards the bottom of the back. My point is -Could it be that the hole on Howards clock was from the factory.And possibly over the years they changed the configuration on the back? It doesnt look recently added to me... PS-both my clocks have the time set at the 4 o clock position.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah, I think what you are saying Jim is likely. I bet the manufacturer changed the access hole for setting the clock until someone there settled on the final design - the rod sticking out the side to set the clock. The center bore hole on his clock is really clean and centered perfectly, probably original.

I agree with you guys, I wouldn't be afraid to clean this clock up. Only thing I wouldn't do is replace the clock face.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved