Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#673157 Wed Nov 30 2016 12:48 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I don't mind telling others what kind of a guy I am. Even at 81 I am very active in playing darts, but most will tell you that if I don't like something about the rules, etc. I am the first to speak out, I am doing this now.

I have been in this hobby for almost 30 years and I have no idea what "Fortune and Life PP" means. This title was posted on the Petro Wanted section. If I don't know what that means, can you imagine what someone just getting into the hobby feels like.

We continually post that newbes should look up stuff they have questions about, but we oldies continue to talk in code.

I don't know if this some kind of a code having to do with signs, but I think it is. I am not a sign guy, but I see all of you taking in codes: "DSP" Please quit posting like this, how else will the new guys understand what you are talking about.

I don't know if you guys have noticed that the posts on this site have gotten less and less. In my opinion it is we oldies have not reach out with information that makes this the site the one to come to, to learn more about the things we collect.

This is the Christmas time, the time of giving. I know I have never given anything directly to support this site and I apologize. Let's each one of us find something that we don't need anymore, post it on the Petro for Sale page, have the payment sent to Jim and we eat the shipping.

Hopefully, Jim will see this early enough to let us know how to send payments to Old Gas, he will let us know he has receive payment and where to send item to.

Come on guys, don't let this site go the ways of cheese on a hamburger.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
Here are the meaning of the terms you were questioning.
PP = Pump Plate
DSP = Double Sided Porcelain
SSP = Single Sided Porcelain
SST = Single Sided Tin
There are many others Like this

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This site is for collectors, its not a kindergarten class.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I am with Jack, I hate abbreviations. Thank you Jack for bringing this up. If you are too lazy to type complete words and sentences, than please don't add to the confusion.

Just another kindergartener.

Randy
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
GAS 2U!
DQMOT, BSF IDK WCA 2TXT W/LOA.
IYO, ITS EZ &PDQ... IDTS.
IMHO, ARE =ADIH. TBH, FUBAR &2M2H. GIAR, PLZ! KISS.

RX

Translation:

Greetings and Salutations to you!
Don't quote me on this, but seriously folks I don't know who cares anyway to text with lists of acronyms.
In your opinion, its easy and pretty darn quick... I don't think so.
In my humble opinion, an acronym rich environment is another day in hell. To be honest. its *fouled* up beyond all recognition and too much to handle. Give it a rest, please! Keep it simple, stupid.

Just my two cents.

Regards, smile

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
CP, Tftltm!

Translation.

Cold Pizza, Thanks for the laugh this morning!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I don't see a problem with using standardized acronyms. New technologies=progress. With progress comes change. That change usually means we have to step out of our comfort zone and learn and try new things.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Nov 30 2016 07:19 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
I hate to say it, but there is one reason why we have all seen posts on this site fade away in the last year or 2...facebook. It's the in thing with the younger half of the people in the hobby. Many of the older generation have also jumped in. I myself absolutely hated facebook for years, now I find myself there daily. Although it surely has it's uses for buying and selling as well as seeing what's being uncovered daily. I personally don't believe facebook is what this site has been to the hobby for CORRECT information and KNOWLEDGE and it may never be.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I'm with Jack!! If you are too lazy to ask your question in simple English, why should we take our time, which is way to valuable to you, since you can't take it to write, to give you an answer? As for people not coming to the site, I see how many of the newbies are berated for being stupid and not knowing the answer already! I wouldn't come back either. Some people on here act as though it is a grumpy old boys club, and they are the qualification police!

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
And here I thought acronyms were only for people that texted while driving, making the text shorter and avoid accidents!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack... looking back at your most recent couple posts... you used:

Ed - Edition
M&S - Martin Schwartz
PM - Private Message

c'mon guys... complaining about acronyms, and blaming the younger generation. crazy

these acronyms are widely used in the hobby... they were introduced by auctioneers originally because the character limitations on title fields when listing lots online.

i actually wish they were used more often.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By Dave's Garage
Personally, I don't see a problem with using standardized acronyms. New technologies=progress. With progress comes change. That change usually means we have to step out of our comfort zone and learn and try new things.

Sorry Dave, I humbly disagree. This is about proper communication and not technology progress. I am all for progress and making technological improvements but, this is not even close to being in this category. If this site wants to be its own collector club rather than a hobby site that welcomes all individuals then that is fine. But then, don't question why the participation rate is down.

It is nice we can all joke about it but at times it is frustrating to try and decipher the gibberish. Then you post a question for clarification and get made fun of because you do not know what is being talked about. This is not an encouraging method to get new members or retain the ones that are already here. Let's just try and be more helpful and not condemn someone for asking a question that has been asked 100s of times before. I am not against joking around and having fun, but it needs to be done in good taste. Jack and I are frustrated and when I see posts like that I just ignore them not knowing what was even said. If it pertains to a topic I really want to know about, I'll ask for clarification. It really is about common courtesy and communication.

This is a great site full of excellent information. I'd hope that it continues to provide this service and not become an exclusive elitist club. Sorry for the rant.

Randy
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I recently talked on the phone with a "Newbie" from Oldgas who was seeking info.He told me he came here from Facebook,and wanted to see what it was like.
Told me this place is too slow and long winded.
All he wanted was a quick reply & to be on his way.As has been said already,Sadly,I think this is a testament to our culture today.
I told him you will not find a more knowledgeable base of people in this hobby,and it takes time to learn.
He told me he didn't want to learn,just wanted the answer to his question & to move on. frown

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LSMFT!-Bet Jack knows that one!

wink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For reference... here are all the ones I've seen. Some of the bottom ones I have only seen used by Mecum.

SSP - Single-Sided Porcelain
DSP - Double-Sided Porcelain
SST - Single-Sided Tin
DST - Double-Sided Tin
PP - Pump plate
PPP - Porcelain Pump Plate
SSPN - Single-Sided Porcelain Neon
DSPN - Double-Sided Porcelain Neon
SSTN - Single-Sided Tin Neon
DSTN - Double-Sided Tin Neon
SSN - Single-Sided Neon
DSN - Double-Sided Neon