Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am not up on the different Standard Oil Products as I would like! Because I know so little; I realize that I need to ask this question of those that do!

I was lucky enough to pick up a rusty "Lubester lid" off of Ebay a few weeks ago..

The backside of lid:

photo uploading

Frontside:

pc screenshot

A few minutes with a wire brush:

image uploading

I am wondering if this lid would have been painted red (kerosene, if I am not mistaken) or would it have been painted black or would just a clear coat (to help prevent rusting in my unheated garage) be correct?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob - example of one we did a few years ago. Believe this lid was painted red when we got the lubester.

perf3.jpg perf1.jpg

Steve
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
WOW!!! That is great looking, Steve!

No way, I could do that kind of Workmanship. My hands shake way too much! LOL

Thank you for sharing!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob-- Heres a couple I had done here in Devils Lake, by a local artist. I generally give her the lid with the first base coat of paint on it, and she does the rest. She has done a couple for other Old Gassers too, and it generally runs around $100 to have one done, but it all depends on the amount of detail, as she works by the hour.

IMG_3621.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Those look great, Kevin... Now that I see the image; I remember that you had a few lids done by your friend... She does great work!

Because the lid was so rusty; I got it for $26.00... (guess not many had an interest in it)

I might just use a wire brush on my grinder to knock more rust off of it and then clear coat it...

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have always painted my own things like this. My last was a wine press, I painted the embossed letters while over a powder coated black base. Use "One Shot Paint." All different size brushes can be purchased a Hobby Lobby. Don't try and paint everything in one day. Just using the word "Perfection" from above, paint all the parts of the words that go up or down first. Let it dry, tomorrow, paint all the parts that are on top of each letter, then the next day, paint all the round parts of the letters. The small "Standard..." letters near the bottom will require a much steadier hand, really take you time doing these. Always work on the letter that is further away and work toward you.

One reminder to all of you. These lids are not interchangeable, a lid from a Bennett will not fit a Tokheim dispenser. Once they are off the dispenser, it is difficult to determine what dispenser they were originally on.
This really sounds like a good project we could all contribute to here on OG. Just like we have a place where we show all the cylinder sizes, we could have pictures of these lids. If you know who made your dispenser, take a picture of it and after someone starts a thread, the rest can just add to it. This should not be just for lids such as above, but even lids that don't have anything on them. If you post anything, please have the picture show the hinge and where the lock goes, and equally important, a measurement and the Model Number.

I used to have a number of embossed lids, but they are all gone so I won't be of much help.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Dec 19 2016 02:42 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved