Next Thread
Print Thread
#678191 Tue Jan 31 2017 07:49 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I have a recently-manufactured water transfer decal that I would like to add a little durability to. Does anyone have experience in applying automotive clear coat over a water transfer decal?

I'm a bit concerned that clear coat might be too "hot" for the decal, and could damage it. I'd also welcome suggestions for other clear coating products that any of you have used over water transfer decals (not referring to vinyl decals in this situation). Thanks for any help. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Tue Jan 31 2017 07:49 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, I have used many water transfer decals under clear with no problems. I have always made sure it has dried completely and put a light first coat of clear over them letting it set up before Appling a heavy coat. Most our basecoats are waterborne now and we use catalyzed clears over them everyday. Call me if any questions.
Also if you look at the Sunoco Tokheim 850 in my collection photos, the large decals are water transfer with lots of clear over them.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Agree with Mike. Applying initial light coat(s) is really important. The biggest issue is the clear flowing underneath the decal, light coats will create a barrier to prevent that. Sometimes, if Im concerned, Ill do a test piece first. Paul

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Thank you, Mike and Paul, for taking the time to help. It's great to be able to learn from your experience. I appreciate you both sharing. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is this a decal you made with a printer? If so the ink may bleed when cleared. Try a test decal first. If they are new but like original water slide decals you will be fine doing as mentioned above.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
This is an original water transfer decal, Matt. So, I believe it will be O.K. Thanks for checking in. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've never tried this clear with a decal, but if you are looking for an automotive quality clear but in a spray can, try this stuff. Great for small jobs. Somehow they managed to get this spray can to spray like a spray gun.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=108749&Number=652364#Post652364

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John , I have used the Model Car Clears on Water soluble decals without any issue .

see ya on the road folks !
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Ed. Using a small rattle can of that would certainly beat mixing up some clear for the spray gun. Thanks for the idea. John

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved