Next Thread
Print Thread
#680208 Wed Feb 22 2017 04:16 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Picked up this globe from the recent Morpheys auction. I've said some bad thing about them. But heck, it's like fighting city hall. And to be honest, they were top shelf to deal with. From their girl Angela helping me out, to the top shelf packaging. Turns out the 25% premium can be lowered to 21% if you send a check and bid directly through their website. Still high, but better.

I've always been a fan of this globe. Need an "Amoco-Gas" now to go with it.

I plan a barn wood shelf that will incorporate a boxed in ad glass that I have as well. And then the green motif cans.(need more of them)

I'm not a fan of all the light bleeding through around the edges. Something needs to be done about that.
Any thoughts? Paint? Nail polish? tape?

amoco globe.jpg IMG_20170212_153843583 (2).jpg IMG_20160926_043922196.jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Wed Feb 22 2017 07:01 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What in the world! Steve C collecting Amoco, the world is flat and it was 68 degrees today. The universe is shifting.

Have gas all the time
Done4 #680226 Wed Feb 22 2017 07:03 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By Done4
What in the world! Steve C collecting Amoco, the world is flat and it was 68 degrees today. The universe is shifting.

And the adults are back in charge in Washington.

LOL!! Dont fret Les. I've just always had a thing for red, white and black. Amoco is just one of my step children. And Mobil Gargoyle. And Pennzoil. And Texaco...
Sunoco is still my first born. grin

Last edited by Steven C.; Wed Feb 22 2017 07:05 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Hey Steve, Look forward to seeing your boxed in ad glass light, been kicking that idea around for a couple years with a Firestone ad glass I have, I think it will look cool when you are done! Brian

Looking for anything to do with The Rapson Tyre Co.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK, I can feel the gravity agin. Just kidding, looks like a neat project can't wait to see the finished piece.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Steve,
I had a similar challenge when I did my backlit movie poster project. I ended up putting that foam adhesive-backed tape you get at Lowe's for sealing air leaks around windows (the stuff comes on a roll) between the poster frame and the wood frame. It squishes down pretty well so you may be able to do that without it showing.

Another option (if you have woodworking skills and tools) would be to use rabbet joints rather than butt joints when you assemble the wood light box. That way you create a corner for the light to go around which should help solve your light leakage problem. I actually used both solutions on my poster frame project.

BrianH

Brian H

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved