Next Thread
Print Thread
#682167 Mon Mar 13 2017 05:19 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Well, I was running low on cash toward the end of the show this past Sunday (meaning less than $1,000). Saw this sign that I thought would make a nice space filler on a wall in my shop. Looked at it several times in the bright sunlight and didn't see anything wrong until I got home, set it in my great room, sat on the floor level with it, and looked straight on.

The French side looks ok, although the red porcelain looks thin with scratches that don't seem right. But the English side, man, look at the letters in the word "DEALER" and tell me it's not a fake. Also the big red "E" on the same side. I really hope it's not, and never thought I'd have to worry about this for such a generic, unpopular, and large sign at a major show.

I paid well more than this is worth if it was original, and I did so because I put value in all the vendor's time and labor to haul, setup, and teardown all these signs show after show. I really appreciate that hard work given how bad my back is.

But if this is a fake then this hobby is in real jeopardy, as my generation is the generation all the older guys need to convince to get interested, and stay interested, to keep values up and stable.

All of the signs of this type I see on the internet have at least one letter, somewhere, out of alignment, so I'm hoping it's just a consistently scrappily made sign, but I doubt it.

Please provide your input/opinions on these pictures. Thanks.

WP_20170313_002.jpg WP_20170313_003.jpg WP_20170313_004.jpg
Last edited by bigandtall; Mon Mar 13 2017 05:21 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would really be surprised if it was a repop. Those that make the repops do so to fill a demand. Here in Canada, in my experience the French signs and the bilingual ones sell for less than the unilingual English ones (Ontario/Quebec/Maritime guys correct me if I am wrong). As the Imperial signs are two sided (and not I believe two separate signs) the costs for repopping would be substantive. Keep in mind they fire each color and each side separately. If someone is going to repop a sign they are going to make what is in demand and what sells. I think you are safe, and can put it down to sloppy stencil alignment when it was made.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Looks good to me. Have seen a few of these and dont believe yours to be a fake

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think its OK.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was the seller of this sign and do not buy and sell phony items.

Aaron Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'am also sure the sign is genuine for all the valid reasons listed above.
Bring this sign north across the border and i'am sure it would sell fast.

B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By olddutchgas
I was the seller of this sign and do not buy and sell phony items.

Aaron Hop

Thanks Aaron. Didn't mean to imply such. I never asked you if it was real or fake and at the time your were swamped with customers and said you had just taken it on trade, which to me meant maybe just a few minutes prior, sight unseen.

Was just bemoaning my own inability to notice and ask questions and notice anomalies ahead of time. The significantly out of vertical alignment letters had me seriously concerned. Now wondering how do I spot a fake if this isn't an indicator...

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Last edited by bigandtall; Tue Mar 14 2017 05:13 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Real. Most fakes are the figural ones.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
great REAL SIGN CONGRATS

Follow the Red Indian Trail
K
K
Nice sign. I saw it at Peotone. Congratulations.

Koby Vinokor
516-353-2440

OLD LICENSE PLATE WANTED (Porcelain, Leather, Early Plates, Specializing in New York)

www.facebook.com/kmvantiques

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved