Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#681676 Fri Mar 10 2017 08:19 AM
Nucky Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I'm selling on ebay my super indiana motor oil quart can, price starting at 1 $ and no reserve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/272584625500?

Nucky Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
don't forget it's ending in a few hours, it's a really rare one and I'm sure no others will come back for sale

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For those of you who did not waste their time bidding on this oil can, be glad you did not bid. I was the "winning" bidder of this oil can at $362 plus $38 shipping for a nice round $400 USD that was paid immediately after auction ended. Unfortunately, the sale was canceled because "Paypal is too complicated" although it specifically said in the auction description that Paypal was an accepted payment method.

Cancelling the sale was apparently easier than making the sale complete and coming through on a no-reserve auction. I'm very disappointed to not have added this can to my collection, even though my payment was refunded fully the principle behind this is incredibly aggravating.

Aaron Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Sounds shady... Perhaps the seller wasn't happy with the result and took the crooked way out

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Apparently he's done this three different times on eBay to different buyers with the same can !!?? Why is this guy still a member on Oldgas ?? Even if the other two buyers who got screwed don't chime in everyone on here knows Aaron's word is gold...in my opinion he should be booted from here even though the transaction didn't take place on this forum...only a matter of time before it does !

Pete
Nucky Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By 63shelby
Apparently he's done this three different times on eBay to different buyers with the same can !!?? Why is this guy still a member on Oldgas ?? Even if the other two buyers who got screwed don't chime in everyone on here knows Aaron's word is gold...in my opinion he should be booted from here even though the transaction didn't take place on this forum...only a matter of time before it does !

I want to respond to that, I never sell this can before, I don't know where you find that but that's false

for oldgasdutch, you send me 9 messages where I told you paypal is more complicated now than before and I never sold an item with paypal for 4-5 years ago and I thought it was working like before

it was not the price the problem, I was really happy with the price, it was ebay and paypal policy that make the problem

if you want to be exactly right here are the message of today on ebay

olddutchgas
Could you please offer further explanation as to why my order was canceled on the Indiana Oil can? Thank you.

Hi, yes for sure, it's been 5 years since I didn't sell using paypal and I was quite surprised to see how it works today, I had to send the item before I get the money from paypal and couldn't get the money until you placed a review after you received the oil can

a few years ago, I got the paiement on paypal an got the money the same day, and I could use the money to pay the shipping cost at post office

so, sorry if I cancelled the order but it was easier for me, I'm really sorry but paypal and ebay got more and more complicated to use today

Best regards
John

olddutchgas
I'm more than a little disappointed and upset right now, I was quite excited to add this can to my collection. I offered up a good and legitimate bid per and paid promptly and feel that you canceling the sale is not fair to me.

I'm upset right now too with new paypal policy and ebay if it was like it was a few years ago, the transaction would have been done really fast and easily

olddutchgas
How can we complete the sale so I can get the can and you can get the money?

I'll search a solution, usually I sell on ebay using bank transfert ( with bic and iban ) for european transaction, but I'm not sure for the usa to belgium that you won't have a fees from your bank if you do the paiement

olddutchgas
If you were worried about me leaving Feedback you could have just said so, I feel like this dialogue and conversation could happened before you just canceled the auction altogether.

olddutchgas
Shouldn't you have looked into payment options before listing the no reserve auction? I did nothing wrong and paid as was specified in your listing using PayPal, feels like I got screwed out of an Oil can I was very excited to add to my collection.

I think it's time to stop, you didn't got screwed, I got you a full refund

the price was good for me but it was the way paypal work that didn't goes for me

I collect petroliana for 10 years and I missed a tons of nice oil cans, it does not matter for me as I found other nice cans and sometimes got the chance to find them again

olddutchgas
Why would you put info the item description that PayPal is accepted then? I'm sorry it wasn't ideal for you but I did exactly as was stated in your add. The refund is fine, that's not my issue, the fact that you canceled the sale based on no wrong doing on my end is incredibly frustrating.

as I told you before, it's been 4-5 years since I didn't use paypal and in my head I thought it was the same way as before

before : buyer pay - I received the money - I send the item, so simple before

now : buyer pay - paypal has the money - I have to pay the shipping with my money - you receive the item - you have to place a review - than I got finally paid by paypal ( 3 or 4 weeks later )

but now I understand how it works and I'll never ever use paypal again, too complicated

So it's better to have the two sounds of the stories

* I though paypal was easier to use like 4-5 years ago
* I did a total refund of the item 20 minutes after the sale when I found how paypal work
* I did not screw anybody as the transaction was cancelled and refund
* people make mistakes that's because we are human
* in 10 years of collecting I missed items too, those are things and not really important
* I don't do it for business as I'm selling my collection because I stop it

thanks for reading the complete 2 sides of the story

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nucky,
Thank you for posting the dialogue back and forth between you and I, there is truly nothing to hide from side.

I have had a few times in this hobby where I have to eat a few bucks when I was not expecting it, but my reputation is more important to me than extra fees or hassles.

I wish you the best in your collecting, but I will not deal with you again.

Aaron Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...perhaps this is what people are thinking of, when they say they saw it for sale on eBay previously; a post from last September when the can was offered for $2800:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=665530

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nucky, I will say I cannot 100 % verify the part about the can being sold and canceled before because I was not the buyer, but I will post a message below from a person who has first hand knowledge about it. Bottom line is this Aaron won the can and paid the money agreed upon...It's your fault for keeping PayPal as a payment method in your auction not his, so you should honor this deal regardless of "inconvenience" for you and change payment methods in your next auction.

"That can has been on ebay three times that I know of. I won it once too...the reason he is doing that is because it's not selling for what he wants it to. There might be a communication barrier with him since he is in Belgium but his feedback looks good and he uses paypal a bunch judging from the amount of sales...he's just a dishonest person who won't honor a deal."

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is why I hate greedy people, who have no integrity or honor. The right thing to do is very clear to me...sell him the can!

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Mon Mar 20 2017 01:56 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I couldn't agree with you more Dave.

We all know what Aaron's reputation is in the hobby.

Last edited by Scott Shipers; Mon Mar 20 2017 02:21 PM.

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The auction still says "Payment through Paypal" on it. Looks like Nucky backed out of a solid obligation to sell. Not the kind of reputable activity that we strive to promote here.

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I agree sell Aaron the can or boot nucky off the sight. I am tired of the greed and BS that goes with this stuff. I have dealt with Aaron i know who is the problem with this transaction.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
your reputation is only as good as your word,
make it right & sell him the can. .. ... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This reminds me of a conversation Noah (Gas globe guy) and I had just two days ago. I saw a Williams gas-o-gun on ebay a while back for a BIN price of $75. I jumped on it knowing it was a good price and I needed it for my pump. After I paid, the seller backed out of the deal saying "oh I was selling it for a friend and they changed their mind". Yeah, right. Once it sold quick they realized they had underpriced it and bailed. So much for integrity.

Brian H

Brian H
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved