Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hey guys

I'm fairly new to sign collecting, but sell them in my shop regularly. I may pick up a few I found for sale locally, but one I'm not familiar with. I'm on eBay all day everyday, but haven't found any comps, just an unsold one for $700. Any help is much appreciated, look forward to being active here

Quaker state cold test oil for winter driving. About 36" long, seller claims "mint" but I notice some minimal wear. Sign is double sided porcelain. What would it go for to the right buyer in your opinion? Thanks

IMG_3849.JPG
Last edited by Colby; Sun Mar 26 2017 09:11 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
OP Offline
T
Any insight? Looking to start a personal collection but want to make sure I'm paying fair prices

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the unsold one just listed for the 4th time at 700.,
tells you there too much -
both signs in xlnt. cond. .. ... cool

Last edited by advertologist; Thu Mar 30 2017 09:37 PM.

RANDY
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks. The one here locally is asking $425 for it. I did however just buy a very beat up Quaker state sign on eBay, huge 72"x36" tin, hoping I can clean it up considerably. Paid $194 shipped for it, we'll see how it cleans up

IMG_3857.JPG
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Looking around the internet a damaged one sold for 350 in 2013, same year a good one sold for 600. BTW, these hung below tombstone signs in hangar frames.

Rather scarce sign, but IMHO the price is out of line for most collectors. For the guy who has to have every QS piece then the price is irrelevant of course.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you very much for the help, the buyer has a ton of signs but they all seemed to be above current selling prices. I'll pass, and keep looking for some good finds to start my own collection. I never use to hold on to porcelain & tin signs, but they have grown on me recently. I prefer the large signs, especially round porcelain, but my budget doesn't agree!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems more than fair to me.425.00? That sign is in very good shape. Honestly, I doubt you could find one as nice for for much less or any less.

Last edited by JimT; Fri Mar 31 2017 06:15 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The porcelain cold test oil sign for 425 in very good condition is a better buy than the rough tin sign for 194.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By Lastgas15
The porcelain cold test oil sign for 425 in very good condition is a better buy than the rough tin sign for 194.

From a collector standpoint, definitely. But the tin sign will be for display purposes at my shop. Always need large eye catchers outside, plus I think once thoroughly cleaned it's probably a 300-325 sign at that size. But now you guys have me thinking I should scoop up the cold test sign, given its more rare than the typical tombstone ones

Appreciate all the insight, I am fairly new to this

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By thebmwjunkie

From a collector standpoint, definitely. But the tin sign will be for display purposes at my shop. Always need large eye catchers outside, plus I think once thoroughly cleaned it's probably a 300-325 sign at that size. But now you guys have me thinking I should scoop up the cold test sign, given its more rare than the typical tombstone ones

The best advice I was given when I was new to the hobby was to always buy the single best item that I could afford.
The porcelain sign you asked the value on rates higher in both condition and desirability.
Rough signs have increased in value in recent years. Only time will tell if that trend continues. Good clean porcelain has increased steadily in value, and continues to do so.
Also, don't confuse rarity with desirability.
There may be more upside in the tin sign short term. 20 years from now? Probably not.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By thebmwjunkie

The best advice I was given when I was new to the hobby was to always buy the single best item that I could afford.
The porcelain sign you asked the value on rates higher in both condition and desirability.
Rough signs have increased in value in recent years. Only time will tell if that trend continues. Good clean porcelain has increased steadily in value, and continues to do so.
Also, don't confuse rarity with desirability.
There may be more upside in the tin sign short term. 20 years from now? Probably not.

Really appreciate the advice, looking forward to starting a nice collection for myself. The rough tin one isn't something I would want for myself, but I do enjoy keeping it in circulation and hopefully bettering the condition. I will definitely be on the lookout for good starter signs, in the best condition I can afford. All signs are pretty rare in my area, I hardly ever come across them for sale. Glad I found this site, theres some great pieces available here

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks again everyone for the help, going to view the sign tomorrow. Will post photos once I have it

Last edited by thebmwjunkie; Sun Apr 02 2017 06:46 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Muffler signs are collected. That one I think is 80's early 90s. Definitely not 325, around $60-80 given condition would be averge. Cherry condition $100.

There are some pretty cool muffler signs out there, Walker is a good name that's been collected for a long time. The complete display stands w/mufflers can run $300-600. One of the coolest I've had was a 3 sided display with a seal and then a rod through it holding a muffler that would spin around.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By carolinaskies
Muffler signs are collected. That one I think is 80's early 90s. Definitely not 325, around $60-80 given condition would be averge. Cherry condition $100.

There are some pretty cool muffler signs out there, Walker is a good name that's been collected for a long time. The complete display stands w/mufflers can run $300-600. One of the coolest I've had was a 3 sided display with a seal and then a rod through it holding a muffler that would spin around.

Thank you very much for your insight, I figured it was nothing too special but I can never pass up a deal. It has a "58" printed on it but I didn't think that could be the date given the style. Hopefully I can get the 60-80, as it's not my style at all

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved