Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#686451 Wed May 10 2017 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Seems ebay is wanting to slam shut the door on ending items early to sell privately.

A buyer can ask to end auction early for current price listed only.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It wont work for ebay unless they force all auctions to go to completion for any reason. Right now you can claim there is an error in your description and get the auction stopped, I dont see how they get rid of that.

Ive never stopped an auction so someone can buy an item, but two or three times I've had to stop because of an error in the description (find out the item is repro, there's something you missed, etc.)

Ebay has been trying to stop private buyers forever now, cant even put your phone number in a message with typing it in words.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed May 10 2017 02:45 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I have to own up,seller stopped one item for me to buy. Had zero bids and I didn't twist his arm,or did I.
Might stop some sellers from using ebay as just a tool to do a little fishing as I've always felt this is done a lot with no intention of paying ebay. Where else can you reach so many buyers with interest in a item with one sell post.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
If I read my notice correctly ... it appears they will monitor communication between the buyer and seller and make determinations from that ... if the only way you can contact the seller is through their email system they will know if it's truly an error in the listing ... at least that's how I read it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
But that would mean they would be reading your messages without permission, which if I remember right they only can do so if there is a problem.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To my knowledge, this has been in effect for the last two months or so...or at least they had begun ramping up preparations. A seller I had bought a few maps from and gotten to know had another map set for a 10 day auction. I, being far from patient, asked what I would have to pay to avoid waiting two weeks to have the map in hand. We agreed on a price quite a bit higher than the starting bid and that was that.

Or so I thought...a few days later I get this long threatening letter from eBay claiming they played Big Brother and were monitoring the communications between myself and the seller. The gist of the letter stated if I would like to continue buying/selling on eBay, any further action of that kind will cease immediately.

While I understand their point of view....not cool, man.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've contacted a few ebay sellers with an offer to buy before any bids are placed,over the years.They usually say OK to it,then want to end the auction & sell it to me privately.
I always tell them NO!..just list it as a Buy It Now for the price I offered em,as I want the eBay/Paypal protection.
Most of the time they agree,but a few have argued they won't do that and persist on selling it to me off ebay.
That's a Red Flag for me & when I walk away.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Cindy and I sell a lot on Ebay, in 2013 & 2014 each year we sold over $75,000 per year on Ebay. It is how hard you want to work at it. If you sell parts like we do with our ECO parts, just sell the parts, then when you ship the parts just include a nice prepared letter stating you also sell other items that are not listed on Ebay and that they should contact you directly.
This is not against Ebay rules.
One more thing, don't include your website address, your phone number in any of your Ebay listings, and also do not sell anything to anyone who contacts you using Ebay's message where he asks you to sell something directly to him. In the last few weeks I have had a person who continually asks me to sell him some items I previously listed on Ebay. Basically, I kept telling him "NO."
Having been on Ebay for over 17 years I have made a lot of money using there services, as long as I make money I don't care what they charge and what their policies are, go with the flo.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
On expensive items I try my best to exclude them when it comes to the fees. 10% is too much on final valve AND shipping. Get it off somebody else, I choose to not pay it if at all possible. Long time player and have seen it change, not for the better...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By cormy
On expensive items I try my best to exclude them when it comes to the fees. 10% is too much on final valve AND shipping. Get it off somebody else, I choose to not pay it if at all possible. Long time player and have seen it change, not for the better...

Yeah, I think you nailed this. Big difference between an expensive item versus inexpensive. If I have a BUY IT NOW w/ offer on something expensive (say thousands), I want people to get a hold of me off ebay as that 13% of fees makes a huge difference in the sale. I wont discuss anything in ebay messaging other than here's my phone number to talk, have to spell it out in words.

For an auction, I will not take early offers and end the auction. I've always found things work out better to let it ride to the end, I've never seen an early offer higher than my final value but Im sure its happened!

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
A
A
Recently I have tried to avoid eBay if at all possible. Too many rules and too many fees. In the past I have been successful with listing a price and using "Make Offer". I usually calculate the fees ahead of time and factor that into my listing price.

R
R
I try to do the same when selling by factoring in the fees before listing. I also got a warning from ebay when selling a NYC street sign a few months ago for allegedly trying to negotiate to sell off their site, but the messages between myself and the buyer were simply to try to arrange a delivery since the shipping would've been high due to the weight. Nothing came of the warning, but they certainly don't make transactions easy sometimes.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved