Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#687019 Thu May 18 2017 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have been trying to buy this car for 25 years. Finally was able to buy it. Been in the building for 50+years. So here is just a little of the story how it started. I was out looking for stuff found a old farm and say a gas pump so stopped in. I asked if the pump was for sale the guy said we still use it but if you buy me a new 110 volt pump I will trade you I said sure it was a tokenism 36b complete. So I made planes to come back the next weekend and get the pump. So I get the pump loaded and we start talking and he asked what I do for a living I tell him I am a mechanic, he says you like old cars I say yes he says come with me let go look behind the old build and look at some. I find about 40 cars most just parts. Buy there was a complete 66 impala 2 door hardtop. I ask is it for sale he says yes, I ask do you think it will run he says should been sitting there for about 15 years. So we make a deal. I make planes to come get it the next weekend again (this is 150 miles one way) The next weekend I get there he ask you driving it or putting it on the trailer I said if it will run I will try driving it, he says lets see what it will do. So we put on a battery turns over good but no start some check for spark no spark, so I said probable bad points so I better load it he says I have new point in the old building if you want to try it. I say sure so off we go, (now I have not been in there yet) so in we go in in the back of the building sets a 53 Chevy convertible I ask right away is it for sale he says NO I said if it ever comes for sale I want it. So we get the points and put them in the impala and it fires right up and I drive it home 150 miles no problems I could not believe it. So I go back a couple weeks later to let him know I got home fine (did not get a phone number not sure why) I get talking to him again and ask about the 53 and let him know I really want the car he says if it ever get sold I get it so I stay in touch buy phone and stopping in when ever over that way always a couple times a year or more. About 5 years pass and I get the word from his son the his dad has passed. So I let the car be and only stay in touch with the son and never ask about the car for a year or so then I ask he and he says dad promised you the car if it ever gets sold and I will do the same. So I keep trying to buy it for 20 more years and finally he calls me and says do you still buy pumps I said yes he said stop over I have 2 pumps. So I go over and buy them both. I ask and about the car he said one day soon. I think I hope but don't hold my breath. 4 days later I get a call on my cell he said it your lucky day. You can buy the 53. I was there 2 days later only because he wanted me there then or I would of been gone that night lol anyway here are some pictures. Car has 53000 miles was one owner.

php4tsBG5AM.jpg phpg0JsCVAM.jpg phpiSNr9oPM.jpg phpJQfI3TAM.jpg

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Drool, Drool, Drool!
Only thing I can see that is wrong with that car, is that it is not sitting in my garage! Other than that--its perfect! Congratulations!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Yep what Kevin said! Great story good deal son honored his dads promise. Give your self a pat on the back for the relationship you formed.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Patience pays off! Congrats on a cool ride.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great score, Scott. Its a beautiful car.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What a beauty!

Braden Splichal

Congrats on hanging in there and making a great dream come true.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you all very much for the kind comments.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great car & story! Sorry for the loss of your friend. Sometimes great items are a bittersweet deal. I've had a few myself.
Now you are the caretaker of the items and need to take care of them as well as the previous caretaker did👍. Chris

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved