Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I posted the following in another thread, however I wanted to start a new thread on this topic. Here is what I posted:

"I wish everyone would use the image resize tool on Old Gas. It is not too difficult, once you know how.

The biggest problem with Imageshack, Photobucket and similar programs, is that once your photo is deleted from their site, it gets deleted here as well. This makes researching old prices, signs, values, authenticity (pictures of original versions), etc. very difficult when there is no picture because someone used Photobucket or Imageshack and the photo is no longer in the thread.

I wish all new members (and existing ones) would try to learn the Old Gas re-size tool, to provide years of future reference material."

....I posted this because another member mentioned that Photobucket and Imageshack are starting to charge for their use. Irregardless if they charge or not, we should all try to use the image re-sizer on this web-site to promote and preserve countless reference pictures for years to come.

BrianH stated he may make a YouTube video to show a step-by-step to help those who don't know how to do it.

And don't forget, there is now the easy picture re-size option at the top of the General Petroliana Discussion thread.

Jim and the moderators make this a great site to visit. Let's put an end to the pictures below...

1114[1].PNG
Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Jul 07 2017 09:31 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I agree, this site needs a better way to post pictures.

Jim has limited money to do this. We use his website to buy and sell $1000 of dollars of petroleum related items with little or nothing going to him for providing a way to sell our items.

I will personally and hopefully be the first person to send Jim $100, just because I have earned much more than that using his site.

Jim, just email me at jhsim@petrocollect.com and with information on how to send you the money.

Guys, this is the greatest website to not only learn more information about petro items, but to when you finally found something and how it is worth and what should you do with it.

I honestly do not believe Jim does this to make money, but to use the more modern programs to make this website the best, it cost money.

Sometimes I wish there was a way that every time a new person comes on this site asking the value of something there should be a way for Jim to charge that person for that information. I know this is not possible.

Guys, just recently posted a comment about a certain item being posted in "Petro for sale." I stated "Is this petro related?" Someone cames back to tell me about I shouldn't be drinking so much after playing darts.

Stupid, I was only expressing my desire to see this that site continues to be petro related. Just tell me where I was wrong, don't bring up how much I have been drinking while play darts. It is the integrity of this site that counts.

One more example as to how for this site should allow postings.

I was a Shell dealer in the early 1970s. My station had a Coke/Pepsi machine outside selling bottles of soda. There was also a dolly with cases of Coke/Pepsi for sale. I have a great deal of Coke/Pepsi ads that show these being sold/placed in the trunk, etc of cars in a service station. Is this prtro related?

Recently here on OG I have seen someone selling a Whippet (1920s) ashtray. Petro related???

First of all, to support this website, Jim cannot do all of this by himself.

Second, back around 2000 this site was established as a Petro website, (the name of the site is "Old Gas.)" I know we have stretched this deification some what but we need to establish a ending spot.

Just a lot of things I have had on my mind, and I have not been drinking beer.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jack, I don't think Steve was advocating switching to a different type of forum software. That would likely end up increasing the cost to operate the site and we don't want that. I agree that people should consider making donations to Jim if they feel the site provides them with value and I'm sure most people here agree with that.

If I can free up some space on my phone to take a couple of 5 minute videos, I'll try to put together a quick Youtube tutorial on posting and resizing pics for posting on Oldgas.

Thanks,
BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
You can donate to Oldgas thru PayPal using this link and clicking on the PayPal donate button.

http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/help.html

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Picture resizing is not hard and there is more than one way to do it. I think many people do not get them small enough when they resize. They need to be under 150KB.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Switching to a different forum software would be great. It would be nice just to drag a picture to post, or select one from your hard drive w/o resizing. But that would cost money, and would we lose all the current posts by switching to new software???? It would be nice though and people would post more, because it would be faster.

But for the time being, it would be nice if people posted with the Old Gas image resizer, so we can have all of these photos for years to come for reference.

Jm2c,
Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Jul 10 2017 04:17 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
I'm very aware that image posting is a major issue to most users. Our current software is back in development after a decade of no upgrades. I have requested, and hope someday to get, an upgrade that will include an easy image upload directly into discussion posts.

In the mean time, have you tried our EZ Resize forum to upload Photos?
It does not require you to resize beforehand, unless the image files are much larger than usual. Follow instructions near the top of the page.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=32

You upload into that gallery and copy the "Medium" code line to paste into your message on another forum category here on Oldgas.Com.

Changing over to different forum software is a possibility, but it would have to do everything we need and not make our huge archive of older info and photos less accessible. So far, I have not found software that does it without significant drawbacks.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim, you do a great job. Keep up the good work.

And yes, for those of you who have not tried the new EZ Resize, it is very simple if you follow the directions. I did it the first time I tried.

Thanks again for all of your hard work Jim,
-Steve

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved