Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6904 Wed Feb 27 2002 09:21 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hello everyone heres the question, what was Bennett's first computer pump? By this dont mean the 150 series or any of their clock face pumps. was the 76 art deco first? I also know there were 3 types of the 76 and Ive been told even a clock face version was made. I am an avid collector of bennett pumps and am trying to see where my standing is so any info would help. Thank you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This question sent me to the file cabinets, looking for dates and brochures. It has also caused me to make a revision in my soon to be printed, Gas Pump Identification book. I have until next Monday to get any revisions to the publisher. No matter how careful you are, nothing can be perfect.
In 1934 the only Bennett pumps that were introduced were the Cash Computer pumps. Notice the use of the word computer, but not the computer I believe you are referring to. 1935 saw the introduction of the 135 "Station Master" series (135, 145, 155, 165). For picture of this pump and the Cash Computer face go to: http://www.crspub.com/gaspumps/POM_June97.htm These pumps also used the Cash Computer meter. In 1936 some of these pumps were offered with the computer as we know it. This narrows thing down to the 76-77 series. It appears that the first Bennett computer pump was the Model 76 (two ad panels) and the 76-F (four ad panels)both introduced in 1935. Around 1935 the pump industry changed the definition of the word "Clock." At this time it now meant a "Non-Computing" pump, meaning it registered gallons only. The 77 and the 77-F were non-computing pumps (meaning they had clock faces). Early versions (1935) of the 76 had outside sight gauges, by 1936 the sight gauge was moved to the face, with no change in the model number. Thanks for making me look a little closer at some conclusions I previously made.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Dear Mr. Slim, Thank you for your response. I hope my question was not too much trouble to answer. Im very glad to see that I may have helped you with your book I cant wait to see it in print Good Luck!!!!!!!!!1

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Jack, that was great info. Thanks. I have one of the 76's but the top was damaged. I acquired a four panel top and though maybe it was just an optional feature. Now, I believe I will try to repair the original top. Thanks again.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved