Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#690741 Wed Jul 19 2017 07:10 AM
L
ldj Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I got the VR computer all apart cleaned up and put back together. It works good except for price change. I can't move the gears for price change. If I remove the price wheels I can move the gears easy. The little springs and plunger that contacts the price wheels move freely but there is just too much pressure required to the wheels to get the little plungers to go down so the wheel can turn and fall in the next indention. Yes it is all clean, lubed, and moves free when checking each part. I'll probably never move the price change any way but just curious why this is happening.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
ldj #691059 Sun Jul 23 2017 06:36 PM
B
B
I'm in the process of rebuilding one as well and noticed the exact same thing. If I apply slight pressure to the price change mechanism, and then wiggle the price wheels I can get it to move without forcing or bending anything. The plungers are oiled up and move very freely, and everything moves very freely until the price wheels are installed in place. I tried oiling the underside of the wheels as well as lightly sanding the plungers to make sure they were smooth and round and weren't binding in the wheel notches. Hopefully somebody with experience can assist us because from what I can gather by analyzing it, it looks like a design flaw with too much spring pressure or too deep of holes in the wheels. Then again back in that time period gas didn't change price 8 times per day.
Brian

bcouchene #691066 Sun Jul 23 2017 08:15 PM
L
ldj Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By bcouchene
I'm in the process of rebuilding one as well and noticed the exact same thing. If I apply slight pressure to the price change mechanism, and then wiggle the price wheels I can get it to move without forcing or bending anything. The plungers are oiled up and move very freely, and everything moves very freely until the price wheels are installed in place. I tried oiling the underside of the wheels as well as lightly sanding the plungers to make sure they were smooth and round and weren't binding in the wheel notches. Hopefully somebody with experience can assist us because from what I can gather by analyzing it, it looks like a design flaw with too much spring pressure or too deep of holes in the wheels. Then again back in that time period gas didn't change price 8 times per day.
Brian

Brian,
Yes, you and I have the same problem. I also noticed if I helped the price wheels a little they would go on and move.Problem is with the computer mounted and the face on the pump you can't get to the price wheels. I would like for it to work right when I show people how it worked. No reason to change price other than showing it off.
Leo

ldj #691368 Sat Jul 29 2017 10:52 AM
L
ldj Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By ldj
Originally Posted By bcouchene
Brian

Brian,
Yes, you and I have the same problem. I also noticed if I helped the price wheels a little they would go on and move.Problem is with the computer mounted and the face on the pump you can't get to the price wheels. I would like for it to work right when I show people how it worked. No reason to change price other than showing it off.
Leo

Brian,
I found the problem with price change on my computer. The hole that the spring and plunger go in had crud (corrosion and dirt) packed in the bottom. When checking by pushing the plunger down it would come back up and depress back down easy. What I didn't notice was the plunger in several holes wasn't going down as far as the rest. That made the plunger have a lot of pressure on the bottom of the wheel making it hard to move. Maybe this is your problem.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved