Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By BryceG
Update:. I have also emailed the auction company directly and thru live auctioneers, and explained why the Mack sign is a known reproduction.

I have got no response and the sign continues to be described as original and advertised as one of the primo pieces in the sale.

a blind eye on the way too the bank .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...it'd be great if someone stood up at the auction and called out these fakes for what they are...surely someone at Iowa Gas will be out of money by that point, and have nothing to lose...

...wonder if these guys are members of the Better Business Bureau?

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Aug 02 2017 04:59 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Are there any other signs or globes, described as original, that we should be suspicious about?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Auctioneer (Rich Penn) terms of sale......

"1. Ownership title passes on the fall of the auctioneer's gavel. There-after, the property is at the sole risk of the buyer. Neither the seller nor the auctioneers shall be responsible for loss or any damage to any article due to theft, fire, breakage or any other cause whatsoever, how ever occasioned. If an article sold cannot be delivered by reason of theft, breakage, or other damage prior to check-out, the sale shall be deemed canceled without any liability on the part of the auction company. 2. All property is sold As Is-Where Is and neither we nor the consignor make any guarantees, warranties or representations, expressed or implied, in regard to the property or the correctness of the brochure or other description of the authenticity of authorship, physical condition, size, quality, rarity, importance, provenance, exhibitions, literature or historic relevance of the property or otherwise. No statement anywhere, whether oral or written, shall be deemed such a guarantee, warranty or representation. We and the consignor make no representation or warranty as to whether the purchaser acquires any reproduction rights in the property. Prospective bidders should inspect the property before bidding to determine its condition, size and whether or not it has been restored. Catalog descriptions include condition information where possible. If you have any questions regarding lots, contact the auction company prior to the auction. If you have questions on specific lots, since most pieces are packed for shipping to the auction site, call between Monday and Thursday of auction week, lots will be unpacked then. If you are unsure about a lot, for any reason, DO NOT BID. Items in this auction are intended for display. If items are sold and described as in working condition, that means they did work when sold. Due to the inherent nature and age of these items, if any electronic or mechanical device fails to operate, auctioneer is not liable. No items may be returned for any reason. 3. On-line bidders are subject to a 23% buyers premium, discounted to 20% for cash or approved check. 4. All bids to be per lot as numbered at the sale site unless otherwise mentioned by the auctioneer. 5. Bidders are required to register and give full photo identification prior to the beginning of the sale and are required to use the number issued to them when identifying themselves as the successful bidder. Online bidders MUST complete registration with their preferred online host, LiveAuctioneers. Without registrations complete and approved, you will be unable to bid. Register early to make certain you're approved to bid. Links to those platforms are at www.RichPennAuctions.com. 6. Full payment of each purchaser's account must be received at the end of the auction sale or upon check-out. Terms are cash or certified check unless other arrangements have been made with the auction company prior to the days of the auction sale. When paying by check, check must be accompanied by current bank letter of credit. Payment must be in U.S. funds. Online bidders, if paying by your credit card, please call Rich Penn Auction at 319-291-6688 with your credit card number on Friday immediately following the sale. If paying by check or money order you should also notify Rich Penn Auctions on that Friday. Once your payment is processed, PKGS in Clive, IA will receive your paid invoice. They will then contact you by email, in the order that payments were received, to make shipping arrangements. You will not need to call them. If credit cards are used, no charge-backs are allowed for any reason. Any wire transfer under $5,000 will be charged an additional $25 transfer fee. Please add this to your payment amount. If any check given in payment is not honored for any reason (including but not limited to N.S.F., stop payment order, or the like) you agree whether the check is signed by you as the maker or endorser, that if such check, or any action for non payment for any reason is placed in the hands of an attorney for collection, to pay reasonable attorney's fees incurred, with all costs of suit in event suit is instituted. 7. The highest bidder will be declared the buyer. In all cases of a disputed bid the lot shall be resold, but the auctioneer will use his judgment as to the good faith of all claims. His decision is final. 8. All merchandise purchased on site must be packed, transported and/or removed by the purchaser at his own risk immediately after the close of the sale, unless other arrangements have been made for storage and shipping. If any employee or agent of Rich Penn Auctions shall pack or transport the merchandise, it is fully at the risk, responsibility and expense of the purchaser, and Rich Penn Auctions shall not be held liable for any loss, damage or other dispute that may be caused by said agent or employee. All items not removed after close of sale will be moved and stored by Rich Penn Auctions or their agents. Fees, rates and any insurance will be charged accordingly to the purchaser. If you fail to make storage or shipping arrangements or to pick up your merchandise within 30 days, you forfeit the merchandise to the auction company. All your shipping needs can be handled for both large and small items. Your shipper, Pkgs. of Clive, IA has provided estimated packing and handling charges for standard size packages. That information is available on our web site at www.richpennauctions.com. Click on the auction link, then on the shipping information link. This information is also included with catalog registration material. Contact the shipping company directly (Pkgs@pkgspro.com) for packing AND shipping estimates. Pkgs can also assist with shipping larger items that might require special handling or shipping arrangements. Because of the volume of lots sold to off premise bidders, shipping can take 2- 6 weeks. 9. Any gambling device purchased at the Rich Penn Auction shall be used only for the purposes of display or social entertainment within the private home or residence of the buyer, and such devices shall not be exposed to the public for the purpose of gambling. 10. This is a privately owned and operated auction. We reserve the right to refuse admittance to any person, or eject from the auction site anyone selling or attempting to sell their own merchandise. 11. Bidding on merchandise automatically constitutes agreement with these provisions. 12. No transfer will be recognized from one buyer to another. Please watch over your children; you are responsible for any damage you or they may cause. 13. All auction sales will be subject to the laws of the State of Iowa. Any disputes that might arise from this auction must be brought to Iowa for determination.."

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=Chevrolet SS]Auctioneer (Rich Penn) terms of sale......

after reading all of the above, that makes you really want too go too the auction- basically sounds like your swimming in shark infested waters with no lifeguard .. ... cool

RANDY
S
S
After all the talk I will be hard pressed to bid on any of Rich Penn's auctions. The flooding of the market with remake signs makes it hard enough to find things your comfortable buying. This type wordage by auction houses does nothing but make our field less attractive to new buyers. I agree would be nice for the ones close enough to attend to stand up and make a deal out of this practice. Just because Penn writes terms od sells does not make it correct. Maybe stop using his service will have a effect on his actions.

Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bryce did go to the auction so we will have to wait and hear hove it went. I couldn't do it for this jerk. from what I hear he gave the same spiel about his "Contemporary" signs that they are good for the young buyers that can't go outside and afford a original sign. Well from what I saw there was still a whole lot outside that any buyer could buy to start their collection for the price of a "Contemporary " sign!!! LMAO

I hope he realizes that he lost out on not only the 6 grand average that I spent over the last 2 years at his auctions but also those bids that I made raising the prices on the signs I didn't buy.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
contemporary signs generally went for around $100 ea

someone still got stuck paying $1600 for the fake Mack Bulldog... but at least most were aware of it being fake, otherwise it would of brought around $5k. Its still blatant rip-off by Rich Penn, since he was notified of it being repro multiple times.

I saw some fake oil bottles sold as original too. Lots of people did not go to the auction because of all the garbage... so Rich Penn only hurt himself by selling that junk. It also made me shy to bid on items even when they looked nice, because you just never know if you can trust it or not.

(ps. another thing I've noticed at 3+ Rich Penn auctions... after you win an items, they take the signs to a back area until you pay. if you look in that back area, they literally stack signs on top of each other. so when you win that minty sign, be aware it will be stacked on a table with that roached sign sandwiched against it.)

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There's a rumor going around down here that he's out for next year as the auctioneer. All we can do is hope it's true and as far as I'm concerned he did it all to himself.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Maybe he's hooked up with India. lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Mike M.
There's a rumor going around down here that he's out for next year as the auctioneer. All we can do is hope it's true and as far as I'm concerned he did it all to himself.

its not only this auctioneer .. ... cool
there like car salemen, sell you something you don't need..

Last edited by advertologist; Thu Aug 03 2017 08:22 AM.

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
maybe we can all root for a Dan Matthews auction next year wink

if you see Dan, let him know that the hobby needs him back... i always tell him, and if enough people do then maybe he'll give it some serious thought smile

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hey Bryce start a thread and see how many members would like Dan back. Maybe Ron will listen & make some changes.

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
I doubt Dan is exactly a free agent although it would be nice.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's great news about the auction Bryce, thanks for the update.
Guess the ole saying, "THE BUCK STOPS HERE" worked it's magic. Lol

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved