Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#691648 Thu Aug 03 2017 07:40 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I am new to collecting. I was always interested in it, however didnot know where to start. I saw this sign and just decided this is where I will start.

I was hoping to get some insight on my purchase. I have been trying to research it and looking for anything that could identify the year of the pennzoil logo. I also can't find anything like this sign anywhere. Not sure if that's good or bad. The sign is 8 feet by 4 feet, so it's rather large. I was told it's 1929 as a date for it, however I cant confirm

Any thoughts or insights to this sign would be great. I just want to know more and educate myself on it. What would you say is the value of a sign like this? Not looking to sell as I love it and it's my first one, just trying to see if I got a good deal or over paid.

This will help me with future purchases as I now want to add to the collection or should I say build a collection

Please look at picture and provide me with your knowledge

Thanks

IMG_5114.JPG
Last edited by Oldgas Moderator; Thu Aug 03 2017 07:44 AM. Reason: Moved topic to Value forum
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome, I have one similar but a little different. The copy and bell are embossed with the guarantee seal embossed black with the type reversing out of the black. Yours maybe an earlier version. Can't help on value though, sorry.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are HAPPY with it then you got a good deal! wink

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks!!

N
OP Offline
N
No worries on value. I really just want to learn more and start building a collection

N
OP Offline
N
I am Happy with it, so good point.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow!! I think it is awesome!! And what a way to start!!
Welcome to the madness!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
N
OP Offline
N
Another question on this. I shared with s friend my new pennzoil sign asking opinion on value. He said that pennzoil stuff isn't as collectible as other brands and for that reason the value is impacted. Is that true?
I dont care because I like it and hang it proudly.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks!!
I am jumping into the madness as you call it with both feet. Went big on first sign and already in the search for the next one!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can tell you that a sign just like that sold locally at an antique shop for 650 dollars. I missed it by three days.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
N
OP Offline
N
Same size that sold for 650? And 1920's?
Man I over paid then.. lol
That's why I have been trying to get more info on this sign. I'm just trying to educate myself. I don't regret the purchase even if I overpaid because I like it and worth it to me. I just don't want to continue to over pay. Plus I can't find another example of this sign anywhere so it's hard to place. I also can't find any reference material to pennzoil signs and logos to help me better identify year and age.
Dealer was asking 1,800 for sign, however I paid significantly less but also way more than the 650 you suggested. Thanks for putting a price on it for me

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My buddy told me that it was a 20s Pennzoil sign about the size of a sheet of plywood, which makes perfect sense. Plywood sheets are 8 by 4.

Several things to consider. Where you live could impact the price of signs. I live near PA and many Pennzoil signs turn up here.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You did all right. Pennzoil is collectible and that is an early sign with the brown bell. You have the right attitude and are in the right place and are wise to ask for guidance. Welcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved