Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#692168 Wed Aug 09 2017 10:23 AM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
After another year of when doe's it start, when doe's it end and why is the auction during the busiest day of selling questions. I thought I'd take a poll here to see what everyone thinks.
Please only respond to the poll if you went or have gone to Iowa Gas.

At some point Ron and John have to make some changes or sell off the show so someone else does because I know a lot of people said they are done unless changes are made.

My biggest beef was the swap was going strong Wednesday Morning and boom the auction started and it just thinned out the crowd.

As most of you who know me know that If it's going to be a Wednesday to Friday show, I think Friday morning should be Auction time because most of us are done selling outside by Thursday Noon. And Ron has said the Holiday inn want's the show to be 3 days long.

Iowa Gas Schedule
single choice
Votes accepted starting: Wed Aug 09 2017 10:23 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Mike M. #692172 Wed Aug 09 2017 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Having the auction on Wednesday at noon definitely killed the sales for the vendors...seemed like a lot of the buyers never came back after the auction....

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Mike M. #692177 Wed Aug 09 2017 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
still dont understand why Weds-Fri is the only option. nearly every other show on earth uses the weekend for at least one day... Thurs-Sat or Fri-Sun.

2 days off work = feasible
3 days off work = not worth it

I would love if Iowa did similar as CTO... Thurs-Sat with auction Saturday around 10am-Noon.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Mike M. #692179 Wed Aug 09 2017 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I told the promoters that if they had the auction on Wednesday next year, I'd cancel my 7 outdoor spots and not attend.

The Wednesday auction totally killed the entire show - which was unfortunate, because there was the absolute best selection of items for sale that I have ever seen at any show.

Jim

T-way #692180 Wed Aug 09 2017 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By T-way
there was the absolute best selection of items for sale that I have ever seen at any show.

I will second that!... been to 4 Iowa Gas shows, and this year had the best selection of items I have seen so far!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Mike M. #692186 Wed Aug 09 2017 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a question ... with how much this hobby has changed ... the demographics have changed, along with the advancement of social media, reality tv shows, etc ...

Are the people here on oldgas even the targeted audience anymore?

I don't know, that's why I ask.

Ohio Oil #692191 Wed Aug 09 2017 04:52 PM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Ohio Oil
Just a question ... with how much this hobby has changed ... the demographics have changed, along with the advancement of social media, reality tv shows, etc ...

Are the people here on oldgas even the targeted audience anymore?

I don't know, that's why I ask.

Great question Duane! I know a lot of members went but that brings up another question, does anyone ever see an advertisement for the Iowa Gas show anywhere??

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
T-way #692194 Wed Aug 09 2017 06:14 PM
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Good for you Jim, and I know others will feel the same. And you are right- "The Wednesday auction totally killed the entire show - which was unfortunate".

I think the show should be Thursday vendor set up, Friday and Saturday swap meet. I'd prefer NO auction at any swap meet, but if there must be one, have it Friday evening or Saturday AM.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Mike M. #692216 Wed Aug 09 2017 09:25 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
A few years ago I missed a few IG shows, but I was there for the second show and about 25 after that.

I have seen many changes trying to perfect the perfect show. Much as they have tried there are always been complaints. I did not offer a opinion the the above post.

Just strictly based on this last show, where I was in attendance I would like to state my opinion.

Saturday shows do not work, yes hold the auction, but the vendors are gone and the guys who can only come to the show on Saturday will be disappointed. If you are new to the hobby and can only attend the events that are on Saturday, you need to start with the other smaller shows that are over the weekend. Iowa Gas and CTO is where big money changes hands, if these guys sell out, they are long gone. I am not trying to be smart, but that is what it was back in the 1990s and is still the way today.

OK, my opinion: This last show was a very good show, with the exception of the auction. Here is my suggestion. If the auction is as big as the one last week, divide it into two auctions, 1/2 being sold starting at 6:00 Wednesday and the same the next day. This will give the vendors time to get something to eat, and get to the auction, and since it will probably end at 9:00 each night, it will still give everyone time to hit the room to room sellers each night.

To all of you who stopped my our room to say hi I thank you. I brought 60 cans of Bud with me to thank you all for buying my books, got rid of most of them (well yes, I did make an effort to drink as many as I could).

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Aug 09 2017 09:25 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #692246 Thu Aug 10 2017 03:59 PM
B
B
I like that idea Jack! I went this year and it was my first time as I have just started collecting. I only had time to make it on Wednesday but I was there from 8am to almost 8:30pm taking in all the vendors, most of the auction, and then the room to room. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience but the auction did take up a lot of the afternoon so splitting that up would keep folks coming both of those days. As a first timer, I did buy a sign from a vendor and also one from the auction and I enjoyed talking to a lot of nice folks and learning more about this cool new hobby of mine!
Vince

Mike M. #692250 Thu Aug 10 2017 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To say a Saturday/Sunday show doesn't work then explain to me why the Peotone show is so popular and with good general public foot traffic, granted the show is over by 1pm Sunday but no matter what day a show is on it dies off in the afternoon.

Des Moines is a different animal but it needs some tweeks. Somehow the general public needs to be attracted to these shows because there usually is something for everyone. Look at your good general antique shows that are on Sat/Sun, the aisles are packed with people.

The following is a post I made several days ago on Scott Benjamin's Facebook globe page.

"Rules, it's all about rules....the show needs some. CTO and others have them. A firm start and end time and vendors that stay set up till the clock stricks closed. I totally understand why vendors pack it up early, no buyers, why stay.
The show should start at set up on Thursday and end when the auction starts Saturday at noon. This show doesn't need to run as long as it does, how long does it take to see everything? It's not Hershey. And besides the expenses for the dealers is huge. Between the hotel and vendor registration my costs exceeded $1000 and that didn't include travel to get there. Hats off to guys like John Mancino and Gas Pump Rob who drove from each coast. Of course this is my opinion of a perfect world and I agree the auction on Wednesday killed the flow."

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
bmxpro1 #692253 Thu Aug 10 2017 06:13 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I've been to 29 consecutive.....16 years old at my first.

The zenith of Iowa Gas was having a somewhat regulated "dawn" start on Thursday morning with lot/ballroom vending Thursday/Friday until 3:00 PM. A Friday night can auction and Saturday general auction.

How this has evolved into a Monday-Wednesday show is multi-faceted but needs to be rectified. If the target demographic comes from TV shows, Facebook, etc (which I think it does) and younger collectors in general. Doesn't make more since to have a show that requires less vacation time from work?

The Wednesday auction is merely an action of promoter greed and Rich Penn should be embarrassed for allowing non original items into a auction at the hobby's premiere event. His pre-auction diatribe was laughable regarding enticing entry level collectors with "contemporary" signs. There was enough low priced ***** in the sale for entry level collectors without the need for 50-75 lots of "contemporary" signs.

Shorten the show. Put the auction at the end.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Mike M. #692257 Thu Aug 10 2017 06:29 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Can't say it any better than that.

Mike M. #692259 Thu Aug 10 2017 06:33 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have not gone for about 15 years or more, simply long distance and when I got there a lot of stuff was either sold or brought for someone. Fun thing to do, but long way just to find out that no matter what day started there were always people selling two days before. Then they left early.
As stated, need secure times, do you really need an auction ? Its a swap meet.
Easy to buy stuff long distance now and do not buy porcelain because of all the repros. We are just a long ways away and the heavy stuff requires big truck and or trailer. Good luck to all that go and hope they all have a good time.

Craig
okoil1 #692261 Thu Aug 10 2017 06:35 PM
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Good posts Tom and okoil1 !

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved