Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I agree with cleaning it. Clean the side against the garage wall if you like the other side better leave it alone.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good candidate for a good cleaning,
condition appears too be xlnt .. ... cool

RANDY
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I totally agree Randy

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you everyone. I was hoping I had something good when I came upon this sign, but was kind of out of my element. I just wanted to know what I had and how to present it properly without wrecking it. I will probably not have this opportunity again. I like these porcelain advertising pieces but, I know enough about them to know that I don't know enough about them to buy smaller pieces. The reproductions have been around forever, but now there are a lot of high dollar frauds. Not sure I can spot them. This has been a great resource. I hope I can learn a lot here and eventually be of some help myself. Thank you all for your interest and time.
Jay

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great Skelly sign Jay. That's a great find. Clean it up if you want but be gentle if you use barkeeper's friend. It CAN damage the porcelain if you scrub too hard with it. Go slow and gentle and rinse often.

BrianH

Brian H
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you Brian,

I am usually afraid of using abrasive compounds and steel wool on antique collectible items. I was surprised how many people recommend their use on porcelain signs. That is why I have been hesitant to deep clean it. I know it is a glass like surface, but I also know glass scraches and abrazes easily. I used soap and water and mr. Clean magic erasers to get it where it is, but that did not accomplish much. Thank you for the word of caution. I will tread lightly.
Jay

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After seeing the pictures of your sign I would definitely try to clean it a little more. I'm a Skelly collector myself and have that exact sign without the frame. Yours has good color and very few chips. The metal frame has contributed to a lot of the rusty stains. I would take it out of the frame and clean it and media blast and paint the frame if it were mine. There is a product that I use to clean porcelain that has rust contamination on it like yours and it works well without scrubbing too much. It is called Iron-X and is not harmful to paint and especially porcelain. I buy mine on eBay but I think it can be ordered other places. Others on here have used it on signs, face plates, and other parts with good success. You might give it a try. Nice find, you may be a future Skelly collector in the making.....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice sign. id clean it with easy off and a plastic scrubby. Lay it on the grass,(in the shade) spray on a good thick coat and let it set for 8 hours or a little more. Scrub it. Rinse with the garden hose. i think you will be happy with how it comes out. if there are stubborn spots, repeat in those areas.

Last edited by JimT; Tue Sep 05 2017 02:23 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One other product that works great is called Bon Ami. It is a mild abrasive for porcelain stoves. It will not hurt it, but it takes a lot of elbow grease. It will get almost all of the dirt and rust off.

...and I agree with others. That sign is minty and would look great cleaned up. If you like the patina, keep one side dirty.

It may be your first sign, but it won't be your last.... Lol

Nice find,
Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue Sep 05 2017 12:42 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use heavy duty automotive buffing compound by hand with a rag. A couple signs have been really bad and I busted out the buffer for those but normally just by hand. Then wax when done.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you everyone for all of the great advise and encouragement today,

This sign is not for sale, but I am wondering what the value, rarity and desirability might be. When was it made? I have not seen another on eBay, but they seem to be common in collections. Just wondering what a Skelly sign in this condition is worth once cleaned up. I know I got a good deal but, I just want to get an idea of what I have here. I'm just asking for opinions.
Thank you for any thoughts,
Jay

T
OP Offline
T
Has anyone ever used either of these products on porcelain signs? Biocleaner or Bruce's GSR?

Thanks!
Jay

IMG_1047.JPG
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you everyone for your advise. I probably used a bit of everyone's. All said and done there are three things I could not have done without: patience, elbow grease and Bartender's friend. Actually four, could not have done without the advise. I Spent the whole day rinsed often, and learned a lot. I have to say, my elbows actually hurt. Any thoughts on the value of a sign in this condition?
Thanks everyone,
Jay

IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1071.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
there is a difference, I bet your happy & tired .. ... cool

1skel1.jpg

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jay, I have no idea of value (not my field), but a really nice job of cleaning that sign by you. Especially for your first one. Congrats, it looks great! Well done.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved