Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
Hello,
My name is Jay. I am new to this forum. I just bought my first porcelain sign because I wanted one for a long time and the price was right. I collect other things and know the rules of restoration on them. I don't know about signs. Should they be cleaned as close to original condition as possible or left as found? I wiped it down with soap and water but there is a lot of tough stuff that stayed on.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
As long as you don't damage sign absolutely clean it. And being porcelain you can't hurt it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Most like to clean a sign as well as possible without compromising it's integrity as far as paint or finish goes. Since porcelain is essentially glass it is pretty impervious to cleaners and the finish won't come off by simply washing it. A lot of old signs will have paint overspray or other things built up on them that won't just wash off with soap and water so you will have to use something that will remove those things like thinners or rubbing compound. Mild abrasive cleaners like Barkeepers Friend work pretty well to removed rust stains and heavier contaminants and even fine grade steel wool will work to remove old paint overspray. If it has been painted over or is covered with a lot of paint you can use paint remover without harming the porcelain....GB

Welcome to Oldgas.com

Use the "Google Custom Search" form on the top right corner of this page to search for:

Cleaning porcelain signs

You'll see a number of past topics on this forum on that subject with the experience of knowledgeable members.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck with your sign!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I usually clean our signs-especially porcelain. I just want to say though, some signs that are a bit off condition look better (to me )When they have the original "look". When they are displayed together they have an old time feel. Sometimes they just dont look right all cleaned up with a bunch of clean chips and scratches.

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you everybody! Once I figure this site out I will post some photos so you can see the condition.

T
OP Offline
T
Another question about my Skelly sign. This sign measures 5x5 diagonal and has its original frame. It has two eyes welded to the frame, so I am guessing it was a hanging sign not one mounted solid to the top of a post. My question is does the frame add value. Most of these signs I see do not have a frame. I don't know if this is because people think they display better that way, of it they simply do not have a frame.
Thanks again,
Jay

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
original frame adds value. 200.00

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Lloyd.

T
OP Offline
T
I finally got some pictures uploaded of my Skelly sign. does it look like a good quality sign? Does anyone have an opinion as to weather or not I should leave it looking like this or clean it up? The dirtiest parts in the corners and at the edges actually have a shine or gloss to them which makes me wonder if there might be a clear finish over them. if this is the case I may to need to use some kind of a harsh stripper.
thanks,
Jay

skelly.jpg skelly2.jpg
T
OP Offline
T
These four pictures show the only damage to the signs porcelain between both sides. is there likely to be damage hidden beneath the frame? I am afraid to try to take it out of the frame.

damage.jpg damage 3.jpg damage2.jpg damage4.jpg
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
That sign is definitely of "clean it!" quality.....so yes, clean 'er up!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
T
OP Offline
T
I got it hung up yesterday. this is how it displays on its best side.

wall skelly.jpg
Would look nicer to me if you cleaned it up. But if you like the patina, that's all that matters. Seriously doubt that it has ever been cleared.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved