Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#694207 - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:00 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
Gas Pump Rob Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: California
Hard question to answer! Braden would have bought my farm fresh 36 B if zip had not gut it in on the farm in Nebraska! Well my trailer was full and already heavy so guess what we gutted that heavyweight on the spot! Now I still have it.
Rob

BTW those are heavy even without guts lol !!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#694208 - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:11 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
MATT ALVAREZ Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cameron Park,Ca.
It sounds you are going to sell it, so I would leave it up to the buyer. The buyer may not want them and at that point you could offer to remove the guts for them. For me it is a better deal to buy a pump without them. It has not stopped me from buying a pump with guts. There was one I was not going to buy because it had guts, the guy lowered the price so I took it.

#694218 - Mon Sep 11 2017 06:29 AM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
cggas Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: northern in.
36b tops are expensive.... I think the last one I sold brought $650-$700. But u may get lucky & find a deal. I personally would gut it. Chris

#694222 - Mon Sep 11 2017 08:06 AM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...I'd leave them in...and I'm pretty sure there already has been a poll on this topic...those with a large collection of gutted pumps have a vested interest in perpetuating the narrative that a hollowed-out cabinet is somehow more desirable than a complete gas pump...

...also, it's considerably easier to make a living 'restoring' gas pumps by scrapping the motor, etc...needless to say, it would be easier to restore old cars and vending machines as well, using this method...some will say 'that's different - I'm going to drive the car, but I'm not going to pump gas; and what's a car without an engine?'...well, what's a gas pump, without the pump?...I'm sure collectors with 50+ Coke machines don't have them all full of product, running 24/7 - yet I don't know anyone who guts their drink machines, to make them lighter...ditto for those who collect vintage radios...

#694236 - Mon Sep 11 2017 10:59 AM Re: to gut or not [Re: gulfiend!]
57-Chevy Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Locust, NC
Originally Posted By gulfiend!
...I'd leave them in...and I'm pretty sure there already has been a poll on this topic...those with a large collection of gutted pumps have a vested interest in perpetuating the narrative that a hollowed-out cabinet is somehow more desirable than a complete gas pump...

...also, it's considerably easier to make a living 'restoring' gas pumps by scrapping the motor, etc...needless to say, it would be easier to restore old cars and vending machines as well, using this method...some will say 'that's different - I'm going to drive the car, but I'm not going to pump gas; and what's a car without an engine?'...well, what's a gas pump, without the pump?...I'm sure collectors with 50+ Coke machines don't have them all full of product, running 24/7 - yet I don't know anyone who guts their drink machines, to make them lighter...ditto for those who collect vintage radios...

Don't drink the Kool-Aid folks! ~ guts ain't never gonna make a pump more valuable, just ain't gonna happen!
KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

#694243 - Mon Sep 11 2017 12:47 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
RandyM Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin (South Central)
Actually, when you really think about it you have to ask the question, "Why do I collect gas pumps?" For me, it is because they are really cool works of art and for me, that work of art doesn't need the internal mechanism to make it any more pretty to look at. Gas pumps aren't collected to operate like soda machines and cars, they are different. Those they leave the pumps in are never pumping anything ever. I don't collect things as investments, I collect them because I really like them because they are cool. Same with signs, globes, and cars. I am a collector not investor. I would just love the day when the bottom would fall out on all this stuff and then I can have more of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

#694245 - Mon Sep 11 2017 01:02 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
nochevys Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Sherrill NY
I'm on the fence as far as gutting or keeping intact. As of late my thinking has been that 50's (short) and newer pumps are getting gutted. The older 20s-40s (tall) pumps are staying intact. I currently have an Erie 80 a Bennett 371 and 1 50's Gilbarco with guts due to very nice original condition. My Smithway L-1 and my Wayne 511 are gutted and restored.

I'm not a huge pump collector I only have 5 right now down from 6. I sold one to a neighbor because he's wanted one forever.

Tom

#694253 - Mon Sep 11 2017 02:47 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: nochevys]
petropumps Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oregon
I've changed my mind somewhat over the years. Used to be I gutted everything and I certainly am not opposed to that. But lately, I've been leaving pumps in the rarer stuff I get just because I've become a bit more of a purist. That being said, in 25 years of slinging pumps I've NEVER had a sale affected by whether or not the pump was gutted.
My 2 cents.

#694268 - Mon Sep 11 2017 06:59 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: RandyM]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally Posted By RandyM
Actually, when you really think about it you have to ask the question, "Why do I collect gas pumps?" For me, it is because they are really cool works of art and for me, that work of art doesn't need the internal mechanism to make it any more pretty to look at. Gas pumps aren't collected to operate like soda machines and cars, they are different. Those they leave the pumps in are never pumping anything ever. I don't collect things as investments, I collect them because I really like them because they are cool. Same with signs, globes, and cars. I am a collector not investor. I would just love the day when the bottom would fall out on all this stuff and then I can have more of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

...well, I'm a collector, too, and an historian...IMO, the preservation of history - with a focus on historical accuracy - takes precedent over 'pretty'...that goes double for whimsical paint schemes...our hobby would do better in the long term to attract more historians; we've an overabundance of 'investors' as it is, and they're considerably more fickle than history buffs...

#694279 - Mon Sep 11 2017 08:43 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
Wasatch Man Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: UT
Guts in a pump don't make it more valuable . I disagree here is one guy that would pay more money for a pump with all the internal parts , and depending on the pump it could be a lot more . Peter

#694283 - Mon Sep 11 2017 09:29 PM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
Craig Osbeck Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Portland Oregon
I certainly see all the different reasons for leaving in or taking out. I believe though that after seeing the thoughts that if I do decide to sell this I can take them out for whomever or leave them in and they can pay the extra shipping price. It will then become their question.
10 years ago we would probably not be having this conversation as much.
Thanks

#694602 - Sat Sep 16 2017 09:27 AM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
Paul Bell Online   content
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Northern CA
Still have never had anyone request internal pump kept or restored.,. Lots of upsides to gutting...easier resto, less smelly, reduced fire hazard, less likely damaged in shipping, etc.

#694612 - Sat Sep 16 2017 10:54 AM Re: to gut or not [Re: Craig Osbeck]
Cold Pizza Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Illinois
So it's a matter of convenience for you?

#694614 - Sat Sep 16 2017 11:38 AM Re: to gut or not [Re: Cold Pizza]
Paul Bell Online   content
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Northern CA
It's convinient, yes, because moving around heavy gas pumps that are restored is not fun. But it's more than that too, not many people are willing to pay the cost to restore internals and I'm not a huge fan of having gassy items in people's businesses or homes, same for old wiring for that matter. Don't want to burn somebodies house down because I don't no where these restored pumps may go. (And there combustible sometimes).

Edited by Paul Bell (Sat Sep 16 2017 11:39 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved