Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
B16 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm new to buying oil cans and would like to know if one quart tin oil cans are being reproduced? If so what major 'differences' should I be on the look-out for? Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm not a major can guy, so I can't contribute much. But I know there are various types of cans that people should look out for. Like wrapped cans, cans that were re-rolled and lidded to look like complete original cans.

Can anyone provide info and thoughts on the above, and maybe give more examples? While those aren't necessarily reproduction cans, I think they are sometimes meant to deceive buyers into thinking they're getting something different than what they're expecting.

Alan

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
B16

Before accepting the information above, you should wait for the big can collectors to tell you what to look out for.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
So yes, 1 qt cans are being reproduced, but they are easy to distinguish between originals. You can view reproductions on EBAY and see how different they look from originals. Original metal cans that are re-rolled and wrapped around another can generally have messy seams or not clean fits with the lids. It takes a little more experience to know that these are wrapped, but generally easy to distinguish. The fakes you have to be careful about are vinyl wraps. A well done vinyl wrap can look very original and even fool long term collectors. The real experienced collectors can tell you how to identify a well done vinyl wrap.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"Original metal cans that are re-rolled and wrapped around another can generally have messy seams or not clean fits with the lids. It takes a little more experience to know that these are wrapped, but generally easy to distinguish."

Yeah, right! You guys can put down the re-rolled cans and the work involved all you want. For some of us who do it properly the initial intention of bringing it back to what it was originally is the same as restoring a basket-case pump or vehicle. What it is worth then or how the seller represents or mis-represents it is another discussion.

flats3a.jpg flats2.jpg flats.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joseph, Yes, certain brands are being "Faked"... I collect Veedol/Tydol/Flying A... There are a number of Sellers on Ebay; selling fake Tydol and Flying A Cans; thankfully they are not close to being correct in color and in some instances, the graphics are way off...

My advise, is before you buy any cans. You look into purchasing a couple of the Oil Can "Guides"... Amazon usually has some used ones for a pretty fair prices. Ebay occasionally has a few and occasionally Oldgas Members will sell one's they have... Better to wait until you get some knowledge before buying some fakes and/or marginal conditioned cans... But, that is just my opinion....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved