Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Last week we had the fortune of picking up a really nice Phillips 66 curb or lubester sign. The seller mentioned that his grandfather owned a gas station during the 1930's until 1965. He had inherited the sign years ago but no longer had a place for it.

After making a deal, we picked the sign up. It was actually better than anticipated - a beauty with the original ring and base marked Phillips Petroleum Co.

After talking to the owner a bit he mentioned that he had a photo of his grandfathers station and it showed the sign - wow! Below is a photo of the station in Iowa and to the left edge is the sign.

The owner was kind enough to provide us a copy of the photo as shown above. He said the station was on the first level and his grandparents lived on the second level. It wasn't until 1952 that they had running water! Lastly he mentioned that the "station" and now a house is still there. Below is a Google Street View of the actual location at the same angle - how cool. It looks like at some point the owners added on to the house where the pumps were located. I wonder if they know that section was a gas pump island for decades?

While rare, it's always such a thrill to see something like this sign in its original location in a photo. One day I hope to have a reason to drive by this house and share with them this bit of history. Enjoy!

Don

6210.jpg 66station-1.jpg 66station-2.jpg phil 66-2.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sign is in xlnt condition with all the documentation- cool story, congratulations .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
appears the little shed that was on the back of the gas station is still now on the back of the house .. ... cool

RANDY
OP Offline
Thanks. I couldn't believe it when searching the Google street view and finding it!

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow, awesome sign!! Phillips logo looks great on that white background!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great sign and story smile

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Nice sign Don!

Always looking for more Derby, Vickers, KanOTex, & Elreco gasoline & oil items!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The sign is really cool, but the story (with photos!) is fantastic! Congratulations, nice to have a piece with that amount of documented history to go with it.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I couldn't agree more with your posting g and what others have said. Seeing a piece in an old photo just brings it home. Brings it alive. Makes it real. I hope to some day be able to display many of my pieces with a photo hanging right next to it. Showing it in its proper environment.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Very nice....always great to hear when someone finds a sign with documentation and a photo of it in it's original environment. I am lucky to own one sign from Hillsdale from the 1920's, along with a photo of it on the building. Agreed, doesn't get much better than that! Congrats on the buy.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great sign and great story. The story, photos and the sign really bring home the passage of time and the changes. The only thing that hasn't changed much is the sign! Cool story.

BrianH

Brian H
Great find and wonderful story. Made my day!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
OP Offline
Thanks everyone! Tonight I followed up with the seller of the sign. He told me his family sold the house in the 1970's. Apparently 1965 is when the station closed and became a full time house. It is located in Northern Iowa. Hopefully one day I will have a reason to be in the area. I don't know if showing the current home owner a photo of the property from the 1930's as a gas station would excite them or not, but I will keep you all updated.

Don

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love it!! The story and history on that is so great. Congratulations.

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved