Next Thread
Print Thread
#698089 Sat Nov 04 2017 05:43 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
My brother in law and sister just moved out to the country and he noticed this pump just down the road from him. So we drove by and the guy was out. So we stopped to say hi. The guy tells us that his great grandfather bought the land in 1930 and now this guy is the fourth generation on the farm. He says the pump has been there since the 1950's when his dad or grandfather put it there he believes. He says it's been sitting there ever since. I said it was strange to have a branded pump on a farm. But who knows were they got it.
I also included the only other Wayne 70 I've ever seen connected to Sunoco.

P.S., his yard clothes weren't much to look at, but he was one hell of a nice guy!!

IMG_20171104_155721939_HDR (2).jpg 30's Long Lake NY (2).jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Sat Nov 04 2017 05:45 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool story Steve. Looks like the pump hasn't been used in a while. Love the piece of siding holding the access door shut. I gather it wasn't for sale?...GB

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
No, he wasn't selling. Said he turned down 2K. Which I told him was a very solid offer. He said he just couldn't imagine looking out and it not being there. The other side globe lens was broken bad and both other ad glass were broke.
He said he used the pump up into the 90's when it finally stopped working.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds pretty familiar. There is a guy that lives just a few miles from me near where I grew up. There has been a Gilbarco 86 on their farm since we were kids. His folks died years ago and he never married, still lives in the home place. The pump is in good shape and still has an original Skelly globe on it that is faded but not broken. He used it to pump tractor gas until a few years ago and he will never sell it. he's got stories of people trying to buy it for a lot of money, think it makes it worth that much more to him every time somebody tries to buy it. I always tell him not to sell it until he checks with me first but doubt I'll ever get it. You never know though.....

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Very nice.
Did he say how long ago it pumped gas?
His outfit is just as unique.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Yeah, he said he used up into the 90's.
I imagine it's a pain in the but to display a pump in your yard like that. Always people stopping to buy it.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool story and find Steve. Was the globe a 15", it looks big, like it may be a 16.5"?

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story Steve, and keep in contact as the squeaky wheel gets the oil and you never know when he will say sell! Looks like a pump that needs to be saved.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story and pump!

Braden Splichal

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By Steven C.
I said it was strange to have a branded pump on a farm. But who knows were they got it.

Not strange around here at all most of the pumps I see on farms in Eastern WA. are branded.
The farmers were loaned the pumps from the local distributors when they were no longer in service as long as the farmer bought their fuel from them.
When my dad bought out a local Husky Station in the inventory there were still 3 pumps that had been loaned out that were included in the deal.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By huskybob
Originally Posted By Steven C.
I said it was strange to have a branded pump on a farm. But who knows were they got it.

Not strange around here at all most of the pumps I see on farms in Eastern WA. are branded.
The farmers were loaned the pumps from the local distributors when they were no longer in service as long as the farmer bought their fuel from them.
When my dad bought out a local Husky Station in the inventory there were still 3 pumps that had been loaned out that were included in the deal.

Yeah, I see a lot of branded pumps on farms too, since most pumps used on farms were from gas stations. It's an extra bonus when they have the pump plates on them still.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story, great pump. I hope it stays in that same spot for another 60 years.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From Cold Pizza:

Very nice.
Did he say how long ago it pumped gas?
His outfit is just as unique.

I know the cows and the tractor don't care what you look like, but a guy who holds on to overalls that bad, and won't give up on those until they fall off--that same guy will probably hold on to that pump until he's gone from the farm.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved