Print Thread
#698447 Thu Nov 09 2017 03:42 PM
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Need a little help here . I am new to one piece milk glass globes . Picked this up yesterday . One piece heavy milk glass globe with 2 holes at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock . The collar is 6" across .The face is 13 1/2 " to the outer groove . The inner groove closest to the center is 12 1/2 " . There are two steps in the face of the globe . The width at the top from the side is 4 3/4 " . From my research is seems that this globe had Sinclair Or one other brand inserts ? Second one I don't know brand . The old lady had this in the bottom of a barn stored & believed to be 1940s ? There are two holes on each side that something appeared to go into maybe to hold the lens in ? What goes in those holes . Only have collected a few capco's so far so very inexpierienced on one piece globesamd would klike to find and put the correct lens in this . Thanks for any help on this . Still getting the hardened tar off the backside that was put on pretty heavy for some reason.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Not a one piece globe.
Just a milk glass body that takes double-strength deep notched lenses.
This particular type of body was used for Sinclair lenses a lot.
Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try this web site!

http://gasglobes.com/

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Thanks for all the help . I checked out the web site and have Scotts CD on Globes allready .The details I were looking for were not on it as far as what held the lenses in the body as mine has the two holes only (factory) and I wanted to try to find the correct brand and type of lenses that were originally in the body . Thanks Kevin and Jim & Jolly John for taking the time to respond . Now to find the lenses to go in it !

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Any of the globe dealers has screws that is what the two holes are about.As Jim said the deep notched lens is held in with them. I would find someone to walk you through install of your 1st. I've heard of cracked lens where they were installed incorrect, and years later just sitting and you hear that crack.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Thanks Loyd . Googled again and low and behold found a post on installing the lens to the body.
Good ole Dick Bennett and Jim Tredway responded with help . Did not show on first Google .Sent Jim an email last night. Thanks again . Now back to removing the 1/8 th. Inch of tar someone put on the back side of the globe . This is what makes this hobby so great . About the time you think you are going to slow down on collecting you run accross something that you don't have and that re-ignites that desire to start the hunt again. Not only do you get a new piece for your collection but the opportunity to research and learn the history of the item .

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Some guys that deal with these all the time will probably disagree but I would dab three spots of seal a cone on them and wouldn't tighten screws other than just running them up lightly. Down fall its hard to remove lens using my notion.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Fri Nov 10 2017 12:54 PM. Reason: can't spell seal a cone brain fart day!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Yes , I agree like the used to say in the brylcream ad " a little dab will do ya " .That was an ad from the sixties for boys hair cream . Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the tip.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Make sure your lenses are deep notched enough so the bolts pass thru easily.
Put the rubber washer on the lens side.
Lightly tighten the knurled nut to where it just touches the body.
You won't have any problems.

T-way #698509 Fri Nov 10 2017 06:11 PM
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Jim , I sent an email to you on your store site last night . Please let me know if you did not recieve it.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Buzzy,
I did not receive an email.
Feel free to call me if you like.

B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Sent you a Pm thanks.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved