Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi: as you guys mostly know I collect Texaco “stuff”. I have been collecting for 30 years and thought I had a pretty good handle on values. It seems the last few years stuff is selling for some sky high prices. I just watched some cardboard cutouts on eBay from 1949 sell for between $500 and almost $700. While I have never seen these signs before, it just seems “goofy”. Maybe they are that rare. LOL. I mean, congrats to the seller and all that. Anyway, I post this not meaning to whine, but to see what others think of what they have seen in the items they collect.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEXACO-MARFAK-C...NR/192352608345

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
supply & demand .. ... cool

RANDY
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I can appreciate that.

Alex
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I think it's that way across the board Alex, with any brand.

I do think, however, that the smaller repro signs (PPP's) are starting to hurt that category of collecting. Folks can't tell, and sometimes I think don't care, that they are buying a repro and they're starting to sell for the same money, and lower prices.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like you Alex I've been collecting a long time and it is hard for me to accept the current prices based on condition verse cost. All of my friends and I keep saying prices can't go higher only to be surprised every year.

I guess it is time to accept that more people want this stuff and are willing to do what it takes to get it. So on one hand it is good for us that got in early and harder for the people starting their collections. I know that my attitude about condition has lowered quite a bit over the past few years.

Have gas all the time
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I can't help but think that there will come a day when prices will fall. I just don't see many millennials ever wanting to collect this stuff. Sure there will be some, but relative to how many oil gas collectors there are currently?? I just can't see it. And when the millennials kids come of age, I would imagine the amount falling even more. Now, none of that will mean much to us as we will all be long gone. So the question is, what about the next 10, or 15 years. Well, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie roll Tootsie Pop? The world may never know.

Last edited by Steven C.; Mon Nov 13 2017 08:49 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Today’s prices make me think about selling it all. And I’m sure I’d double & even triple my money on all that I have collected over the years.... but I just can’t let it go......YET!! Chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Many millennials want to collect this stuff,but they just can't come anywhere near to affording it.What with school debt,etc.Many don't even own their own car for this very reason,and rely on Uber.Some even still live with their parents.

The desire is there,the money is not.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
B
B
I am 33 which is upper limit of a millennial, but I feel like I am definitely not in tune with generation. There are not a lot of ppl my age in my area into petroliana or old cars. I love seeing everyone’s awesome collections on here. Makes me think about how much better everything was made before plastic. I hope that this is just a phase that young ppl are going through and they will start to appreciate rusty metal and not erase that from the history books.

I like Sinclair, Mobil, Ford, and anything with good graphics

Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Don't under estimate the value of plastic.....LOL

Texaco Letters Plastic 1.jpg Texaco Letters Plastic 2.jpg Texaco Stars Plastic 1.jpg

Alex
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Just like the stock market,if the investment keeps you up at night get out.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I never really looked at my stuff as an investment, so I sleep like a baby and enjoy what I have.

Last edited by Done4; Tue Nov 14 2017 01:13 PM.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Same here, but at these prices I could make a lot of $$$$ chris

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
same ol song...

you can look back at CTO and PCM magazines from 10-15 years ago and its the same ol articles about how crazy current prices are blah blah. then you get the same people always talking about the 'bubble' and how the hobby is going to crash.

the hobby is fine, there is no bubble. things will adjust up and down over time, which can be seen year to year. but as long as you buy what you like for what you can afford, you'll be ok... even with today's prices.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Absolutely,investment or not nobody wants to see their stuff tank in value.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

Last edited by Steven C.; Tue Nov 14 2017 04:12 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry Steve, I don't get it?

Have gas all the time
J
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
J
I do agree the value has dropped on porcelain Pump plates because of the repops and the prices on most everything else has gone way up. Even the plastic signs have become collectible

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Think there is some truth to many post here. Think of the new comer post no longer is it I collect company because I owned a gas station. Its now my grand dads station or my dads. So will it change in our lifetime,probably not but demand may peak somewhat. It only takes a couple of crazy sells to sat the tone due to excess to these sales that wasn't so easy to track in years past.
I seen antiques house hold goods tumble to pennies on the dollar.
Will this happen with petro I think not,again not in our lifetime.
Too many deep pockets with the mind sat I got to have it. Its not the blue collar working class collector that is driving prices, their just along for the ride.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Loyd Pierce
Its not the blue collar working class collector that is driving prices, their just along for the ride.

i think you would be surprised to see how many of the biggest collectors in the country are blue collared or retired blue collar.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted By BryceG
Originally Posted By Loyd Pierce
Its not the blue collar working class collector that is driving prices, their just along for the ride.

i think you would be surprised to see how many of the biggest collectors in the country are blue collared or retired blue collar.

Bryce I wouldn't be surprised but they have a sense of value and respect the all mighty dollar a lot more than the CEO or owner of large company that has reached the point where what it cost really doesn't matter. Maybe I'm wrong you guys are more involved than I and have been at it longer. I guess my main point is the sell of the cardboard cutouts will drive the asking price of next time they surface,provided that its a educated seller who researches sells. People say don't place value on ebay and petro auctions,well its done ever day. I think the hobby is in the process of a big change there is a generation that is fueling their living on the backs of the true collectors. You have one group that may buy and sell to collect that is carrying the burden of sellers that has no notion of ever collecting.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No, it doesn’t keep me up at night. I am just trying to figure out why prices are skyrocketing. I went to an auction recently and tall, unrestored, Tokheim 39s we’re selling for more than $1,500.

Alex
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I hope the bubble busts soon so I can buy all of your peoples signs

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved