Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I need to tap some of yall's collective wisdom on how to help save this Red Hat sign I've come across. Its painted metal and the paint is flaking off. There is also some paper stuck to it. I was able to peel some of the paper off without lifting more paint but I don't expect it will be that easy for most of it.

The major conundrums:

1. What can I do to keep the current paint from coming off.
2. What can I do to keep paint that has started lifting off to lay back down
3. What is best for removing the paper without lifting additional paint

Any methods or advice would be greatly appreciated. Or is she toast....

Thanks in advance

rh1.JPG rh2.JPG

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
appears paint is blistered & lifting,
with what you have there I can only see things getting worse,
I would leave as is , there is still some value there .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would do a small test spot on the paper with W40 on the paper. I have had success doing by just applying multipl layers of W40 over time. Slow is the key word.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It's got so many things going on with it, I don't know where to start. Just moving it around causes the paint flakes to come off

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I thought I had read on here someplace that you can use water to soak the paper and lift it off, no?

I hate to even mention this, but is this the one time where it MIGHT be OK to clear coat the sign in order to save it? Might be better than watching it disappear over time....

BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's a real problem to deal with. Maybe try warm water and Joy soap and gentley clean with a small soft paint brush and rinse. I do know the WD40 will help the ink which is an oil base. It won't bring it back but will help stabilize the ink, I've done this in the past on tacker signs. And in the end to preserve what you have sealing it with a satin clear hopefully will extend it's life. I would use a laqure base clear. Not a great choice but one that may save what you have.

Last edited by Done4; Thu Nov 16 2017 08:28 PM.

Have gas all the time
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Well if you like the looks now then leave it because it could go south fast and you won't like the looks as much after. I have been there.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I've learned the hard way to "leave good enough alone".
With the fragile state of the paint and the lifts/flaking all over, getting any liquid under that is only going to weaken it further, to the point of even more flaking IMO. You would more than likely start a reaction you won't be able to stop.
My suggestion, if it's flat enough, have a round piece of thick plexi cut a slightly larger diameter and sandwich it between that and a piece of plywood for a backer, screw them together and consider it stabilized between the pressure of the 2 outer pieces.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
H
H
Probably best to leave it- especially with the paint starting to flake off.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice. I'll let you guys know if I do anything and how it turns out

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've ruined enough stuff to strongly suggest that you do not try to clean that one. This may be one of those rare occasions where the clear coat is the way to go. I think the plexi is a great idea too..but I almost wonder if the paint will continue to fall off even when sandwiched

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I use bugslide from my local HD Dealership. It’s a spray wax that doesn’t attack the finish or paint but does wonders on dirt, grime and obviously bugs. Put some on a soft cloth and go over a small area maybe on the backside.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved