Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#700256 Sat Dec 09 2017 09:36 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I've seen some standard Esso signs, double sided and I've noticed some recently that say standard dealer and imperial dealer on them. These seem to be single sided. Question..what are these dealer signs? are they rarer than the plain Esso ones? Did they come double sided as well as single? Are they all 8 foot long or did they come in different sizes? Sorry for all the questions,trying to learn as much as possible confused

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
OP Offline
P
...I think what I'm finding is the earlier signs said Standard and Imperial dealer and that at some point this was removed. Hopefully someone will be able to clue me in, you have some pretty smart folks on this site...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They weren't all single sided. I have 2 double sided Esso "Standard Dealer" signs, one 5' and one 7'. You don't see nearly as many as the plain Esso version.

I think I saw one at Miles Little's a while back that had "Standard Station" too. I've only seen those a few times.

I'm really not sure what dictated a station having a plain Esso vs "Standard Dealer, or Station" I don't think it was the year of sign though? I've had some pretty early plain Esso signs in the past.

Michael

Last edited by 57-Chevy; Tue Dec 12 2017 08:05 PM.

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Esso Imperial signs were used in Canada as I recall, and I believe there were also Esso Colonial signs in New England.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
P
OP Offline
P
Wow, that's great guys! thanks

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Taken from esso history. 1880 in London,Ontario 16 refiners created the Imperial Oil CO. In 1898 Standard Oil OF NJ.acquired a majority interest in Imperial. Early 1900's Standard Oil marketed its products under the brand name Esso which stood for the S and O IN standard oil.

Now with all that being said I get to my point. Imperial has a following and you become king fish do you drop the name or add yours to bring the loyals along for the ride which is the base of your company you just invested in. Standard in US, Imperial in Canada only makes good business sense. Then when you have them on board at some point you become just Esso and they never take their business elsewhere.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved