Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#700760 Sun Dec 17 2017 08:55 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi, new to forum. My loving wife just bought me a Fry 117 from a friend for birthday. Solid all original metal, no cylinder or globe. Leave with patina or restore as Gulf (I worked at a Gulf station thru college). Looks like my gallon markers may be Wayne, does that mean it is a late pump or substitution? I only know the last 15 years on the pump.
Has cast globe cup and fitter, how does globe lamp socket fit?

I plan to set outside at edge of driveway (protected) and electrify.

Thanks

David

IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0084.JPG

If it's automotive---
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I vote leave as is . Nice pump . Maybe do a clean up and add a few high lights here and there with some brighter brush on orange paint just in certain areas , maybe some dark blue on edges , then sand some to blend in the new paint perhaps even dull it with what you have . Maybe get you a gulf decal and sand it as well for aged look . But that's just my opinion . Neat pump though.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i think your pump is a 5 gal with a rush conversion. charley

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like it has a globe adapter to use a 7in base globe.... maybe waz a standard oil pump at one time? You can remove it if u wish to use a 6in base globe. Chris

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Should the cast iron globe holder be on a cast holder not a tin holder?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
the holder is right the hat has a adapter ring to make it a 10 gal, also the jar bass has a adapter ring also, from 5 to 10 gal.the pipe out the side is the rush drain back. the #s are rush also. charley

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You may also have a Wayne pump handle and drainback. I can send you a pdf file of a diagram and parts list if you wish. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now I’m confused!! Lol chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great original pump!

Braden Splichal

D
OP Offline
D
Bit more digging thanks to Charles. Pump ID shows 17 not 117, no R on stamp. Pix show base where it appears a ring was added top and bottom to expand to 10 gallon. Latest patent date is sept 1923. So is this rush? Inner face of cylinder groove is 13", outer is about 13 5/8. It is 22" tall, ten 3/8" rods. Thanks guys, a lot to learn. Btw it has 0 gallon tag at top.

Image-1.jpg Image-1.jpg

If it's automotive---
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Really a good pump.I like the patina. Id clear it if its going to stay outside for display. Try to complete the parts that are missing and blend them in. Get another Gulf pump that is more towards the time frame you worked there if your sentimental about that.-And put that one next to the garage.
P.S. Welcome.

Last edited by JimT; Tue Dec 19 2017 04:29 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
is the handle cast or pressed steel.also can we get good pic of the #s? this may be a fry attachment. charley

D
OP Offline
D
Here are pix of the handle, stamped (sorry did not capture the base)
top showing what appears add on for 10 gallon conversion
inside base showing 5 and 10 gallon grooves. the 10 gallon groove id is 13" od is 13 5/8". and the gallon markers.

thanks again

Inside pump base.JPG Gallon markers.png top.png handle.png

If it's automotive---
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That pump is a conversion pump. It was modified by someone to be something other what it was originally intended to be and/or put together from parts from different manufacturers.Wayne did buy out GLM(Fry)as I have read. Your pump appears to have been converted from a 5 gal to a 10 gal model. The "fingers"(5) inside the pump should verify the 17 on the ID tag. The handle does not go with the pump. Fry(17 and 117) handles are shaped like the contour of the pump. They(Wayne) work and look OK, but are not original. You see several types of gallon markers on these pumps most commonly Fry and Wayne markers.
Fix the pump anyway you like and enjoy it. Your wife is a special woman for purchasing it for you. You may make it a joint project. A "rustoration" may be in order if it is going to be outside and you will also save the nice patina. MAIN THING : Have fun and enjoy it. Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Wed Dec 20 2017 07:08 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
D
OP Offline
D
Your approach I totally embrace. This is the way I received the pump and the modifications are testimony to its service thru time. (Dare I say most of us too have received some modification through the years.). I have a 1924 Studebaker with 1931 Lincoln headlights, I know they are "wrong" in eyes of some BUT it witnesses to the fact the original owner ran a salvage yard. These were cannibalized to provide better light on the Stude. Way I acquired it, way I leave it . There's fun in the story. Not to disparage full restorations but I like patina and back stories.

If it's automotive---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved