Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#701005 - Fri Dec 22 2017 03:31 AM Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators
Gasoline George Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Hi all,

does anyone know what part is required to hold in place the internal gallon indicators for a Fry Mae west? A picture would be great

Edited by Gasoline George (Fri Dec 22 2017 03:37 AM)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#701008 - Fri Dec 22 2017 05:13 AM Re: Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators [Re: Gasoline George]
Catauladave Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cataula, Georgia, USA
They are tightened around the electrical conduit and "locked" on by set screws. Dave

#701021 - Fri Dec 22 2017 01:36 PM Re: Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators [Re: Gasoline George]
hornsrus Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: liberal,mo.
the gal markers dont go on the inside, they are clamped and soldered to the cylinder rods. i have never seen them on the conduit. charley

#701022 - Fri Dec 22 2017 01:39 PM Re: Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators [Re: Gasoline George]
hornsrus Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: liberal,mo.
here are pics. charley

Attachments
3 posts 001.JPG

3 posts 002.JPG

#701023 - Fri Dec 22 2017 02:20 PM Re: Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators [Re: Gasoline George]
57-Chevy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Locust, NC
All the 117’s I’ve owned had the gallon markers in the inside and attach to a ring that spreads out against the cylinder. Some 117’s had the solder tab markers on outside and all the 17’s I’ve seen and owned had the solder tab markers on outside.

I asked about these internal markers years ago to my good friend Miles Little. As most of you know, he keeps about a dozen or so Fry 17’s and 117’s on hand all the time. I looked at literally trailers full of them at his place on many different occasions. Almost always, about 9 out of 10 Fry 117’s have the internal gallon markers. Miles showed me that if a 117 has the 2 piece top that it will always have the internal markers. That’s how you could get to them and tighten the internal retainer band. The external marker pumps always had the one piece top.

Edited by 57-Chevy (Fri Dec 22 2017 02:29 PM)
KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

#701025 - Fri Dec 22 2017 02:56 PM Re: Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators [Re: hornsrus]
Catauladave Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cataula, Georgia, USA
I thought that he was talking about the "fingers" when he refereed to them as gallon indicators. lol My goof. dave

#701026 - Fri Dec 22 2017 03:05 PM Re: Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators [Re: 57-Chevy]
Gasoline George Offline
Petro Enthusiast

57-chevy, do you have a pic of this spreading ring you mention? Yes my 17 and 117 pumps have external and internal gallon markers respectively. My 117 pump has never been pulled apart so i cannot see what is required for internal markers. My friend's 117 is being put together and his glass cylinder rings have 3 notches in the top and bottom. I am guessing these notes have something to do with the internal markers?

Edited by Gasoline George (Fri Dec 22 2017 03:18 PM)

#701098 - Sat Dec 23 2017 10:56 PM Re: Question about Mae West internal gallon indicators [Re: Gasoline George]
Gasoline George Offline
Petro Enthusiast

57-Chevy, I just had another look at my 117 and it has external gallon markers with a 2 piece dome. This pump is unrestored and original. I am not so sure that the 2 piece domes were exclusively used with internal gallon markers. I am still looking for a pic to determine what holds these internal gallon markers (some sort of retaining spring/band). Pic is required for my friends pump which we are putting together. Does anyone have a pic of this part? This is my 117 with external markers.

Attachments
IMG_1944 (1).jpg

Edited by Gasoline George (Sun Dec 24 2017 12:27 AM)

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved