Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#702335 - Fri Jan 12 2018 01:13 PM Beware of the SCAMMERS!!
57-Chevy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Locust, NC
I just got a text this morning from a Wisconsin number (920)415-4352. The grammar was fine and it was short, hey buddy, saw your wtb ad for a Bennett 373 face, there's a guy named Terri in Indiana who has one, here's his email.

I knew the email address was highly suspect. I text back and asked who this was? John here. I said oh, John La Prest (Old Racer). He replied, you are welcome.

I knew it was a Wisconsin area code and have talked to John before and thought it was him.

I emailed in spite of my apprehension and good Lord at the feeble attempt to try and scam! Horrible grammar (dead give away), Stole the picture of the face from a Letgo ad for a Bennett 373. If you google Bennett 373 and click on images its the first picture that comes up (Sinclair pump), wanted a Moneygram only as payment (another red flag), used the name of a Terri Lynn Roe from Colfax Indiana and gave the correct address.

It just went south from there with their stupidity as I played along. They sure tried though and now trying to impersonate oldgas members! Beware!
KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#702337 - Fri Jan 12 2018 02:29 PM Re: Beware of the SCAMMERS!! [Re: 57-Chevy]
Oldgas Offline

Loc: South of St. Louis, MO USA
If you put your phone number or email in your message, anyone in the World can respond to it. A scammer magnet.

If your phone number and email are only in your Profile, only a registered Oldgas.com member in good standing can see it and send you a text or email.

#702346 - Fri Jan 12 2018 04:17 PM Re: Beware of the SCAMMERS!! [Re: 57-Chevy]
Hardy's Garage Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Victor, NY, 14564
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Glad they didn't do you any damage.

#702353 - Fri Jan 12 2018 07:03 PM Re: Beware of the SCAMMERS!! [Re: Hardy's Garage]
57-Chevy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Locust, NC
Originally Posted By Hardy's Garage
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Glad they didn't do you any damage.

Thanks Marshall, I seriously doubt any scammer out there would ever get me. They are all pretty obvious and I have some pretty good wits about me when it comes to this stuff. I do find it interesting to see how they are evolving though.

This one had done their homework on the texting. He sounded just like a good old plain talking American that could put sentences together. However, the email was absolutely a train wreck of the English language! It was quite comical in a way at their stupidity. Then I started getting mad about these low life bums!
KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

#702359 - Fri Jan 12 2018 10:18 PM Re: Beware of the SCAMMERS!! [Re: 57-Chevy]
Corey1955 Online   content

Loc: Hamilton Ohio
There is another scam involving a Frenchman stating he will obtain a double visible, sends pictures then asks for the money up front and advices when he gets the money he will track one down.

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved