Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#702335 Fri Jan 12 2018 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just got a text this morning from a Wisconsin number (920)415-4352. The grammar was fine and it was short, hey buddy, saw your wtb ad for a Bennett 373 face, there's a guy named Terri in Indiana who has one, here's his email.

I knew the email address was highly suspect. I text back and asked who this was? John here. I said oh, John La Prest (Old Racer). He replied, you are welcome.

I knew it was a Wisconsin area code and have talked to John before and thought it was him.

I emailed in spite of my apprehension and good Lord at the feeble attempt to try and scam! Horrible grammar (dead give away), Stole the picture of the face from a Letgo ad for a Bennett 373. If you google Bennett 373 and click on images its the first picture that comes up (Sinclair pump), wanted a Moneygram only as payment (another red flag), used the name of a Terri Lynn Roe from Colfax Indiana and gave the correct address.

It just went south from there with their stupidity as I played along. They sure tried though and now trying to impersonate oldgas members! Beware!

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
57-Chevy #702337 Fri Jan 12 2018 01:29 PM
If you put your phone number or email in your message, anyone in the World can respond to it. A scammer magnet.

If your phone number and email are only in your Profile, only a registered Oldgas.com member in good standing can see it and send you a text or email.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
57-Chevy #702346 Fri Jan 12 2018 03:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Glad they didn't do you any damage.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Hardy's Garage
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Glad they didn't do you any damage.

Thanks Marshall, I seriously doubt any scammer out there would ever get me. They are all pretty obvious and I have some pretty good wits about me when it comes to this stuff. I do find it interesting to see how they are evolving though.

This one had done their homework on the texting. He sounded just like a good old plain talking American that could put sentences together. However, the email was absolutely a train wreck of the English language! It was quite comical in a way at their stupidity. Then I started getting mad about these low life bums!

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
57-Chevy #702359 Fri Jan 12 2018 09:18 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
There is another scam involving a Frenchman stating he will obtain a double visible, sends pictures then asks for the money up front and advices when he gets the money he will track one down.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved