Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Jim, It would be nice to see others with this series pump in any condition. It would help to add to the data base of info, especially if there was a serial number to reference as well.

These Bowser cut 241 curbside gas pumps were very popular in England, and I believe, even manufactured in England as well.

Most of the British 241 are slider tops, the later version, and they seem to have a "waisted" center pipe containing both the fill pipe and electrical conduit,
Also seem to have a square bowl on top as well.

And a more practical dial indicator of gallons registering up to 15 gallons, possibly no rotary small amount stop scale.

DSCF0417a.jpg BritCut241BowserRegent.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Fri Jan 12 2018 06:08 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Craig' Keep the good work up Loving it!!

tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
A little more on the period British Bowser 241..........
Here is Lawrence's Garage, a Filling Station in London with two Bowser 241 slide door pumps framing the closest door, off behind shows another set of pumps and not so clearly a large portable compressor at the left rear wheel of a vehicle.
The 241s appear to have round bowl tops with globes that are PETROL.
The pump operator closest is cranking the Bowser as you can see.

The pumps described as "four modern pumps".

London Filling Station Bowser cut 241

Last edited by tokig; Sat Jan 13 2018 08:18 AM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Patent drawing showing the sliding top details.

Patent drawing top details

Last edited by tokig; Mon Jan 15 2018 12:05 PM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
February 1914 Automobile Club of Southern California - Touring News
LINCOLN HIGHWAY SENTRY FOR NATION WIDE ROAD
The greatest monument ever erected in honor of any man is the Lincoln Highway named in honor of our hero statesman and martyred President Abraham Lincoln Extending across the Continent from coast to coast it stands a vivid example of the possibilities for the Good Roads movement and the automobile industry This highway will soon be the National Road for all cross country tourists and towns and cities through which it passes may well consider themselves fortunate As has been the case in every other phase of gasolene and oil storage SF Bowser & Company Inc have come to the front with equipment designed for the convenience and comfort of the tourist or local autoist and which affords to dealers handling gasolene a fine opportunity to effectively solicit their business The Bowser Lincoln Highway Sentry Gasolene Pump will be a welcome guidepost to those traveling the Lincoln Highway and an ever ready source of pure filtered gasolene free from water and other impurities Autoists have long since learned that it pays to buy a good grade of fuel of uniform quality and have become accustomed to watch for the Bowser Red Sentry Gasolene Pump Now when they see the Lincoln Highway Sentry they will drive up with a feeling of satisfaction knowing that they will receive gasolene with all its original power producing qualities free from water and other impurities The garage or supply house who has this pump installed in front of their place of business will be known nationally as one link in the chain of gasolene supply stations covering the Lincoln Highway from the Atlantic to the Pacific The outfit is the Bowser Standard Red Sentry equipment with the exception that the doors of the pump are an exact representation of the Lincoln Highway sign It is equipped standard with meter filter discharge register two way nozzle hose and portable nozzle The equipment will be sold only for use on the Lincoln Highway and for no other place This means that the pump will not be sold for use at any other point except on the exact route mapped out as the Highway In cities through which the Highway passes it can be used only on the streets designated as the Highway and on no others To the garage man or dealer who is located directly on the route of the Highway it means an advantage which those not so located do not have The equipment bears the Bowser guarantee as to quality of material and workmanship It is built to conform to that measure of safety prescribed by the National Board of Fire Underwriters and is labeled under the supervision of their laboratories .

Last edited by tokig; Tue Jan 16 2018 05:46 PM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
February 1914 Ad for Bowser 241 pump system

ACSCTouringNewsFeb1914.jpg
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought and lightly screwed in place, a new white fabric covered fill hose for my Bowser slide door cut 241.
Big Deal, but that is my cold weather extent of restoration capability.

I am still struggling to find for this 241 slide door -
1)top lighted bowl of correct shape and size.
2)Red Sentry graphics that I can peel and stick for low cost restoration.
3) Bowser issued sales literature, parts literature.
4)Installation, in fact any literature, on the visible kits issued as an upgrade.

As you can see, I am trying to light the open face of this pump with easy parts to obtain. Somebody gonna tell me this is not correct? Really?

Need mental help!

20171222_NewWhiteHose2.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Wed Jan 17 2018 07:27 AM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
I located the original fill pipe with the upper hose connection that has been rattling around my shop for 30 years.
This assembly is too tall to fit my ceiling now, so my intent was to disassemble and fit with shorter fill pipe.
The brass capped, my guess, vacuum breaker (4) is split open. Probably filled with water and froze at some point prior to me.

Any tips on disassembly?

1 fill pipe
2 H fitting
3 pipe plug
4 vacuum breaker

20180112_Bowser241PipeFitting2.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Thu Jan 18 2018 06:51 AM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Looking at the Bowser Ad from 1917, This fitting appears to be the correct for this Bowser cut 241 .

BowserAd1917Fitting.jpg
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a closer look at Bowser slide door 241 before and after installation of the Bowser visible kit.

Seems disappointing that the Gasolene globe was not added back on, as electrical was already there for cylinder lights.

1922SeptemberBowserVisibleAdSmall.jpg
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Another period Pittsburgh gas station featuring Gulf Oil and Bowser Red Sentry slide door 241 pumps.

Not sure maybe swing door 241.

Bowser Red Sentry pump station

BowserRedSentryGulf2.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Mon Jan 22 2018 10:03 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i have one of these pumps. i can make bottom sheet medal for them. charley

tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, Thank you Joe. Looky what I got in the mail today!
Excellent

20180122_JoeLockPattern.jpg
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By hornsrus
i have one of these pumps. i can make bottom sheet medal for them. charley

Thanks Charley, please post sheet metal photos and more info.
Sheet metal would only apply to the later slide door Bowser 241, in my opinion.
But I don't know anything about swing door Bowser 241 models.

29Aub-600x434.jpg
Last edited by tokig; Mon Jan 22 2018 01:05 PM.
tokig Offline OP
OP Offline
I took some Scotch tape and stuck my new pattern in place.
Perfect!

20180122_JoeLockPattern2.jpg
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved