Next Thread
Print Thread
#703053 Mon Jan 22 2018 01:57 PM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just need to vent a little bit I guess....LOL

Why do people contact you about buying your collections and then make you an offer that's way low because when then sell your collection they have to be able to make some money on the stuff? Do you think we are not smart enough to consign our own stuff in an auction or list it on e-bay ourselves?

I am a collector and have taken time (many years)to build up my collection yet I'm too stupid to sell it on my own?

I know your trying to make a business and a living doing this but don't insult collectors by low balling and making our collections seem worthless.

I have sold many items together over the years to other collectors with no problems but it seems this new generation wants guaranties that they make good money selling everything.

Sorry if I offend anyone as this is just my opinion.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I hear ya.
I recently had someone contact me & ask if my collection is for sale.When I said no,he asked for pictures of certain items,then that transgressioned into selling him the entire collection.We then agreed on a price for all of it.
He calls me up on the agreed upon day,saying he's at the bank withdrawing the money,and will be here in 2 hours.
He calls me when he's in my driveway.He & 3 other guys step out..huh?
I don't remember inviting three other people,but OK.
They walk in and start looking..Bill,the guy I made the deal with is the quietest mouse I ever met.
The other 3 say they'll give me X amount,I laugh & say no,Bill & I agreed on this dollar amount.They say there's not enough left for them to part this out & make money at that agreed upon amount.Bill is quiet,the other three shake their heads and walk back to the truck,I ask what's going on.Bill says he was the "foot in the door" guy.The other 3 were the cash & have the final say.
I laughed at this sophomoric game and said goodbye.
They drove 4 total hours for a complete waste of time,which gave me solace. smile

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
They got farther in the door than I would have let them.when time to sell do it yourself.

Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Cold Pizza

I am not advocating for alarms, cameras or video surveillance systems, but I would be concerned about an uninvited return visit by the "bank rollers" or their designee. I sent you a PM.

Neil

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Agree with Neil 1000% Rick. Make sure your collection is photographed and ensured and that your guard dog stays a little hungry over the next few weeks.

What a bunch of punks.

BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
As in casing out my joint?
I did think about that too guys and I am well protected.
Thanks.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Glad to hear it Rick.

BrianH

Brian H
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I’m sure I’m Captain Obvious here but guys we really gotta be careful. There are so many addicts out there who are looking for money to buy their next fix they will steal anything and sell it for less than half of what it’s worth. I know this conversation was geared more to people insulting a collector by low balling but people bringing others that are of unknown character is unsettling as well. It’s a different time and trust me when I say this, law enforcement can only do so much.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
So true,and well said.
I did write their license plate down,as well as save the phone # he called me from and record the town he said they were from.
I also have them on camera,and I think they noticed that while looking everything over and might be why they left so abruptly.
And as Mike M. said,"Do they think we are not smart enough to consign our own stuff in an auction or list it on e-bay ourselves?"
They acted like they were the second coming of Christ himself,while flashing their money around....LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yikes that’s sketchy. Stay strapped and smart. Definitely not a bad thing to be paranoid with stuff like this. I feel for the people that have their items displayed in their front and back yards, it’s just begging for a junkie to run away with something.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
A
A
I totally agree with the original poster’s point.

I buy and sell lots of vintage bicycles. Often times I will post a bike for sale knowing the price is bit high, but I’m never in a rush to sell and I usually factor in a little “wiggle room” into the price.

Very often I’ll get the typical emailed reply with someone pointing out all of the flaws (that I’ve usually already listed in the ad) and then making some really low offer (usually half of my asking price of less) because it is in such “rough condition” and they need some “meat left on the bone” so they can make money reselling it. The last guy that did this I was very blunt with. I informed him that it was not my obligation to help him make money off of what I was selling. I agree 100 with the original poster, if I was clever enough to find all of this stuff I can certainly find someone to sell it to that is willing to pay a good fair price for it.

I kind of blame shows like American Pickers for bringing the concept of reselling for a profit into common, current negotiations, especially the concept of leaving the buyer “meat on the bone.” Sorry. Not my obligation and not my problem. Why wouldn’t I just seek out the same buyers and sell directly to them?

The only time I really see this kind of thing working is when someone is looking for a quick, hassle-free sale. Normally that isn’t me. If whatever I am selling is out of the way and I don’t need the money I’d always prefer to be patient and be top dollar myself instead of giving it away to someone else.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved