Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Craig Osbeck #703885 Sun Feb 04 2018 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Model 72 - I looked at your questions and it sure looks like the one got answered -someone even went through the trouble to post a picture for you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Craig Osbeck #703962 Tue Feb 06 2018 09:48 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I posted the picture. There have now been 200 views for both questions combined and still zero answers, but I have the answers I need.

Craig Osbeck #703978 Tue Feb 06 2018 01:59 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I been wondering if the fact that it seems to be like pulling teeth to get other members input here lately,was going to come up in this topic. I've been sitting on my hands wanting to mention that post get little to no comments .I have noticed a increase since DB passed. He DB never let his head hit the pillow without answering any post that was left without comment. Maybe not the answer you wanted or was liked but as a moderator he made the contact. Knowing no one owes anyone help along in this hobby,I urge the veterans to help Jim keep this site as it has been the place to come for answers. I realize the input of people with the notion that it,s all about the fast buck buy and sell have soared here as everywhere in the hobby,and it has made me somewhat slow to post and maybe same with others. I get PMs from time to time,one called me the OLDGAS pierce pennant expert the other day and I had to laugh. I help as much as I can to answer questions with a little know how and history I have dug up,but I know the real experts are out there.
Thank you old timer veterans, guys and gals alike and special thanks to Jim that puts the ground work in to this great site. You had a heck of a vision!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Craig Osbeck #703982 Tue Feb 06 2018 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good post Loyd.I am not an old time veteran on Oldgas but I have been here about seven years and try to help out on anything I have knowledge on. That being said, there are a lot of questions that I simply can't help with so I don't waste everyone's time with a reply to read that is of no value. That doesn't mean that I don't open and view most posts even if I never post a reply. All of us, even a lot of the veterans, have an area of expertise and I think are still more than willing to offer an opinion if they think it fits the question. There is no doubt we have lost a lot of members over the last few years that were the mouthpiece of Oldgas and seemed to have left a big void when they left us, either voluntarily or otherwise. There were several regulars on here that just quit posting after we lost DB, saying that it just wasn't the same. It wasn't the same, and I understand how hard it is to continue with something you love to do after losing a close friend you enjoyed doing it with. At the same time I always figured that Dick would have wanted the site to continue without him too. The fact that he was a moderator and so knowledgeable was part of the reason he answered every post but the real reason was that he enjoyed doing it. Not many of us have that passion but I do think there is still a vast amount of knowledge among those still here every day and for the most part we heed the call if a genuine need arises. Personally I don't like facebook, for a number of reasons I won't go in to here, though I check it often as most others do. It seems here of late that all of this online auction stuff and sheer commercial bs is making it harder and harder to navigate facebook. If you don't mark a post to come back to on there, good luck ever finding it again. Who has time to live on there to find the part you need? Now that Jim has made the improvements to our home site here I think you will see a return of some that have left and a growing influx of new members. This is still the only site where I feel like I can come and talk among friends without any strings attached and get honest help if I need it. And, maybe find a good deal or two along the way. Keep the faith brothers!....GB

model72 #703994 Tue Feb 06 2018 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by model72
I posted the picture. There have now been 200 views for both questions combined and still zero answers, but I have the answers I need.

Joe,

I read almost all posts, as I think a lot of people do. I saw your questions on the 850. I have no knowledge on the sight glass sign.

I also saw the post on the bolts and was going to reply, but at the same time, I saw in this thread that you found both of your answers. That may be why some people didn't reply. (Yes, it would still be nice if someone replied though, so people who may search this question in the future, can find an answer.)

And... when I saw your question, I climbed through two rows of pumps and checked both of my 850's for you and they have aftermarket bolts on them, as a lot of them do. So I can't help you, but please don't think that everybody did nothing.

As far as the sign on the sight glass, you asked if anyone has seen one (you found one pic on the Internet). Maybe no one replied because no one has ever seen one and/or because they didn't exist. That sign kind of looks like a tin aftermarket sign to me (and again I am not knowledgeable on the sight glass sign, just my 2 cents).

I also think you can contribute some of the 130 and 89 views of your questions to people reading this post and then going over to read your questions out of curiosity, because there have been a lot of views on this 'members' post.

And I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure there are a lot more Petro fans on the multi-billion dollar Facebook than active on here, which may also contribute to the reason you received your answer faster.

Believe me, I understand your frustration when you're looking for an answer and I'm just playing devils advocate. I agree with OldRacer as well. This is still a great website full of information, you just might not get an answer on every topic, or you may not get it right away.

Just my two cents.

Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue Feb 06 2018 07:09 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Speedracer #704011 Tue Feb 06 2018 11:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Some have drifted away from the hobby to pursue other interests. I was active in gas and oil and on this site regularly, but went back to building old school hot rods and bikes. So I tend to participate in those sites instead. I still have a lot of petroliana, I just don't chase it like I used to. I do like to check here every once in a while. This is and has always been the best petroleum collectible sight on the internet. Tim

Member #163
Craig Osbeck #704039 Wed Feb 07 2018 01:58 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I'm on the site several times a day......I've thoroughly enjoyed being a member since I joined over a decade ago. Like others, DB gave me a hard time at first, but when he learned I wasn't a picker and was here for the knowledge, history, and was a true collector, we became friends and chatted via email back and forth, even up to the night before he died. I too noticed the changes immediately after DB was gone, but obviously it all can't be attributed to just that. My personal experience has been with the increase in hobbyists and prices, I simply am not much of a player in the hobby anymore. I built a nice Mobil collection most any collector would be proud of, mostly before the market skyrocketed. I couldn't afford to replace half of the items I own at today's prices. I still add items as I can, but I'm not as aggressive as I once was as with time I've lost the "have to have it all" attitude towards collecting. Another will come along......and at the price I'm willing to pay. Besides, I'm darn near out of room, lol!!

In regards to replying to posts on OG, I try to help with questions that I am able. I read most all posts on OG, but I am not an "expert" or knowledgeable about a lot of aspects of this hobby. I don't collect pumps, as I don't have much room for them. So while I may read your post asking which pump this handle this fits, I wouldn't have a clue! Others are trying to gain more knowledge from reading all the posts as well, they are not there to answer the OP's question. I no longer participate in the value section, as after many answers and not even a simple "thank you" after answering the question, I determined most, not all, but most of the people using that section abuse it. A great many of us on here have gained our knowledge in our specific areas of expertise by years and years of research, or by many years of "doing", as with pump restorations. With today's instant gratification society, people expect answers quickly and thanklessly, as it's expected to get an answer right away with a quick Google search. I don't think it's wrong to expect to be thanked for sharing knowledge that took you years to acquire, and you can get discouraged pretty quickly when you help and get no reply from the original poster. I've spent many hundreds of dollars buying literature, pamphlets, employee magazines, etc. put out by Socony-Vacuum and Mobil Oil Corporation over the years, and have gleaned much knowledge from it. It wasn't free to me.......

A final thought......I also think many of us established members aren't posting due to privacy concerns. This isn't in regards to answering questions, but about general participation. I had mentioned in another thread about theft that I'm not posting in BOTW anymore myself, as you're certainly putting yourself out there when you do. I know folks will say they're personally well protected, but I'm not going to get shot at over a damn Mobiloil can, lol! Just my 2 cents.....
Happy collecting,
Darin

I guess I should add I'm not on Facebook at all....I'm off the grid! smile

Last edited by DWSheffer; Wed Feb 07 2018 02:15 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Craig Osbeck #704079 Thu Feb 08 2018 08:00 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Steve, you made valid points. Thank you for the insight.
Joe

Craig Osbeck #704083 Thu Feb 08 2018 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So apparently you don't like Pickers? You have never done business with any Pickers? You have purchased everything that you have in your collection on your own directly from a seller who have not purchased it before for resale. You have never purchased anything at a swap meet, you have never purchased anything on eBay, you've never purchased anything from anyone else that found it first?
There is one of the problems. The attitude that "I am holier than thou."
I believe without Pickers there wouldn't be a hobby. But I guess that's for another discussion.
I guess we should get rid of all of the swap meets that everybody goes to because they're all Pickers.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Craig Osbeck #704085 Thu Feb 08 2018 08:35 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
John, If you're referring to my comment, I guess I should clarify that was one of DB's big hang ups with newer members, pickers that were here only for valuations....and IMO one of the things he used to figure out those who were truly here for love of the hobby. I have no issue with pickers and don't feel my post insinuated that!! I do not make a living doing this as some do, but I've done my share of bringing items out of barns and garages, although not necessarily gas related, to get them to someone who can use them or appreciate them before the item was lost forever. And I agree wholeheartedly that without pickers this hobby and many others wouldn't exist....personally I don't understand where the "holier than thou" comment came, but I know I am certainly not a high roller in this hobby......

Last edited by DWSheffer; Thu Feb 08 2018 08:39 AM.

Darin Sheffer
DWSheffer #704087 Thu Feb 08 2018 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I completely apologize I did not understand your post.
That actually applies to people who say they have a problem with Pickers.
One person told me a while ago that his entire collection was purchased off of eBay and he will not go to swap meets because they are all Pickers.
Again I apologize..
It is funny though that DB went to all of the swap meets but hated Pickers. He traveled all the way across the United States to get to Iowa, but had a problem with Pickers???
Like I said before you had to take Dick for who he was. He sure knew the hobby.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Craig Osbeck #704090 Thu Feb 08 2018 09:03 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
No problem John, I sometimes find it difficult to articulate thoughts in writing and get a point perfectly across, even after reading it over several times before posting.
I think the majority of us qualify as pickers to an extent, as I like to save as much history as I can, petro or non-petro. I love the feeling of walking into a 100 year old barn or garage on a local farmstead, not knowing what could be around the corner......

Darin Sheffer
Craig Osbeck #704092 Thu Feb 08 2018 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'm not the most experienced guy on here, but I have been around a while. My observation in this whole discussion is there seems to be 2 main types of people using the site. One is the experienced veterans that have learned what they know the hard way ... reading, swap meets, deals gone bad, etc.. The second is the internet generation ... the ones accustomed to typing a search term in a box and getting instantaneous results.

Our culture has experienced a major shift in regard to commerce, protocol, and respect. If as a veteran of the site you expect the new people coming here to act as you do it's going to be a frustrating experience for you. You're probably not going to get thanked sometimes. Yes, people are going to get info on this hobby that took you years to understand on your own. I guess you can either get ticked about it or accept it ... because the reality is it isn't going to change. If you have time to answer questions great. If you don't, then don't. The attitude is probably what needs to change most.

The future of specific interest websites such as Oldgas depends on the veterans of that community changing with the times, not expecting the culture around them to act like them.

Craig Osbeck #704094 Thu Feb 08 2018 10:10 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
That's great insight Duane, thank you.

Darin Sheffer
Ohio Oil #704095 Thu Feb 08 2018 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Ohio Oil
I'm not the most experienced guy on here, but I have been around a while. My observation in this whole discussion is there seems to be 2 main types of people using the site. One is the experienced veterans that have learned what they know the hard way ... reading, swap meets, deals gone bad, etc.. The second is the internet generation ... the ones accustomed to typing a search term in a box and getting instantaneous results.

Our culture has experienced a major shift in regard to commerce, protocol, and respect. If as a veteran of the site you expect the new people coming here to act as you do it's going to be a frustrating experience for you. You're probably not going to get thanked sometimes. Yes, people are going to get info on this hobby that took you years to understand on your own. I guess you can either get ticked about it or accept it ... because the reality is it isn't going to change. If you have time to answer questions great. If you don't, then don't. The attitude is probably what needs to change most.

The future of specific interest websites such as Oldgas depends on the veterans of that community changing with the times, not expecting the culture around them to act like them.

AMEN!!

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved