Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I found this DSP 30” Stardard Oil and Gasoline Polarine barn hanger and was wondering what it’s value might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4A6C7E1D-DA31-4D82-9197-E8B8A8DBF3EA.jpeg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Great sign but value is not there.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
But what would one expect this sign to sell for on Craig’s List, EBay, or at a swap meet?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Stephenwarren30
But what would one expect this sign to sell for on Craig’s List, EBay, or at a swap meet?

it is what it is & that isn't good, .. ... cool

value: minimal

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I could not sell it for a hundred bucks. Extensive porcelain loss. Appears to have been creased or folded ? Interesting find though. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
A
A
Being someone who is not explicitly a collector of petroliana, I don't see the porcelain loss as making it worthless. It all depends on who likes that look. Sure, this sign in perfect condition would be amazing, but noncollectors probably wouldn't be able to tell it's not a repro. The damage and the wear is only testament to its age IMO. I could see the right person paying 300-400, because that what I would be if I had money.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being A collector makes pricing things differently, then u have the other guys who just want a sign or 2 to hang by there old car....... myself $100 bucks tops , the sign is never going to increase in value. The other uneducated guy that only wants a few signs may pay $250? IMO chris

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I agree with Lastgas15 about trying facebook. I'm constantly surprised at some of the offers made for really rough signs on groups like deal or no deal. Joe

P
P
I have to say (at least 2cents, maybe more smile ) I've been collecting for a number of years, and of course I would try to get a deal as much as anybody, but I would pay more than $275 for a sign like that. I absolutely love patina, of all kinds. To me it says I was there, I was in the fight. A lot of the cars I restore are "perfect" but some we do with patina and they look great. I believe there's a market for all types of collectors. Can you possibly make an argument that says if your only collecting so that your stuff will only be worth more money, are you really in love with the hobby, the history, or the money? Maybe...On the flip side, maybe your so in love with the hobby you want to preserve the history with the best examples. One things for sure...at any moment in time, it's only worth what someone will pay...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I disagree that those signs dont increase in value. They tripled in the last 7 or 8 years.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Patina rules
it's only worth what someone will pay...

ditto .. ... cool

RANDY
P
P
One mans trash, is another mans treasure....

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Well said Bob.....I was told early on by a veteran collector to collect the best condition items I could find/afford. This helped me build a Mobil collection that I could probably not afford to replace today in comparable condition to what I have.
That said, I have developed somewhat of an appreciation for lesser condition porcelain signs. I guess every item we collect is a survivor, and I appreciate that. I've also been very happy I've purchased a few lesser condition items, as they were the only example I had seen after years of collecting, and a couple still are the only ones I've seen.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Online Cool
I have a couple fairly rough signs that I've never seen in better condition. Very happy I have them in my collection.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved