I took a drive out to Regina, Saskatchewan today and came home with two Gilbarco 96Cs. Nine hours of driving was well worth it. They are complete and the sight glasses are intact. There are a few dings on the door edges but nothing beyond repair. The green one appears to have a decal underneath that looks to me like a Imperial oil decal. What do you guys think?
Value Questions and Showcase forums
Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category
Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Time to get some work done this weekend, abrasive blast on the bases and frames with steel grit and then switching out to glass bead for the doors and side panels on both pumps. I degreased the sight glasses and am always impressed at how clean they come out with a bit of scrubbing.
The door skins were difficult to blast as there was three coats of existing paint on them. The doors are a thin gauge of metal and had to be blasted at a distance so that they wouldn’t warp. I stacked the doors on top of each other to help them hold their shape while I was blasting. It took a afternoon of careful work to remove the paint from the panels and components on both pumps. Next up will be hammering out the dents.
The door panels have taken a little longer to get worked out due to some difficult creased dents at the edges. Here is a before and after of one of these dents I had to give a little heat to. On the upside I’ve got both bases and frames powder coated!
I’m back from vacation and stopped in at Jim’s Garage in New Westminster to pick up some reproduction parts for the Gilbarcos. I’ve mostly been working at getting the small detail work done and today used a chrome powder coat to refurbish the shroud around the veeder root computers.
Now that I’m finished hammering out the dents I test fit my panels and doors on both pumps. I attached the door hooks and marked each position on each door individually once I had a good fit against the pump. Soon these panels will be ready for coating. Once coated I can re attach the door hooks in same locations on each door for the same fit as when I mocked it up.
I spent today at the shop and made some good progress on the pumps. I finished powder coating the panels on both pumps and had a friend in to help with re wiring the electrical. One of the original pull switches was rusted solid so a simple toggle switch was spliced in. I’m waiting on one more shipment for the chrome door trim and then I should have these pumps buttoned up.
I finished the two Gilbarco pumps this weekend. I went with Texaco Fire Chief and Sky Chief. I decided against a solid red and solid silver pump and went with a two tone look instead. I ran into a couple issues when putting them back together one was using a weldbond glue on the rubber door gasket that didn’t bond anything! I cleaned off each door and used a Gorilla super glue instead. It dried in 20 seconds and was solid. The only other issue was the the shaft on reset handle is a bit too short on each pump to make it to the Veeder Root. I’ll be making up a couple new ones so that it is functioning. Hope everyone enjoyed following the progress on these pumps as much as I did working on them!