Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
This is a very good condition, porcelain sign that measures 18" x 18". It obviously was to be displayed at the auto repair shop of a Wisconsin State Association of Garage Operator's member. I haven't been able to find much info about this Wisconsin group....other than a reference to a member's meeting of the group held in Milwaukee in 1916. This sign has very heavy shelving, so I'm assuming it is a relatively early piece.

There is no maker's mark on the sign, only the little line about the sign being the property of the Association. Please disregard the odd angle of the photos and any reflections. The sign is currently mounted high on a wall.

Any help in dating this sign would be appreciated. Of course, as is the case with this particular Old Gas forum, input on value would also be helpful. Thanks. John

076 (800x722).jpg 064 (674x800).jpg
Last edited by Jolly-John; Sun Jul 01 2018 01:54 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Any thoughts on this one, Gang? John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, picture of back of sign please .. ... cool

RANDY
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Randy. Thanks for checking in. I took a little better photo of the front, showing the red, white and blue graphics. The sign is made to hang like a diamond, not a square. Also included a photo of the back. This sign is quite heavy for 18" by 18".....weighing in at 6 lbs. That, in addition to the heavy shelving, makes me think this is a pretty early sign. I appreciate any input you or any of the gang might have. John

089 (800x735).jpg 075 (800x684).jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, are the grommets the brass split grommets?,
have you tried cleaning the back?
did you buy this from a reputable individual?
you may have something there of some value,
field of sign is exceptionally good .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
there is no question the sign is an old original from the pictures I have seen on here.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Thank you for checking in, Randy and Kim. Steve: Yes, the grommets are brass. And no, I haven't tried to clean the sign back. I've had the sign for the better part of 35 years, and have never doubted that it was "real", based on where it came from, as well as the feel of the sign. I'm thinking the teen's or into the 1920's is a possible era for this sign, but was hoping to get more info here. I know it's hard to date this item without a marker's mark or code, plus the fact that it's a seldom-seen sign.

I was hoping to get some opinions on value, for insurance purposes. However, I've never found any auction results to guide me. Perhaps accurately setting such a value (range) is going to be tough....although I hate to rely on my "guesswork". Any thoughts? Thanks again for looking. John

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved