Print Thread
#715822 Tue Aug 28 2018 10:57 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
Sheepishly I have to resort to the value forum for help again. I tried to research this item online, but only found one on Worthpoint of a different design that had been over-"restored" to the point it would not be a realistic value of an original anyways. (I couldn't see what this one sold for as I'm not a subscriber)
I really like the design of this piece, but have no idea what a general value would be....anyone out there that can offer me some help please? I do think it would clean up quite a bit, as it appears to be right out of a garage.
Thank you,
Darin

Exide Ft.jpg Exide Bk.jpg

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can't help you on value but it is a very nice piece.

Have gas all the time
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I think it's nice too Les...just not sure of an approx. value. Person is at $200 firm......any opinions?
Thanks,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being old school on prices to me that’s on the high side. But Drarin I have to ask how often do you see this and in pretty good condition. I’d go for it, but that’s me.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Darin,
I don't think 200 is crazy for that piece, but it really depends upon how much you like it, are you buying to keep or resell/trade, etc. Any idea if it will clean up a little better? I wouldn't think these are too common (I haven't seen one, but I'm still fairly new to this), so to an Exide guy it might be worth every bit of that, maybe more. If you like it 200 bucks worth, buy it!

BrianH

Brian H
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I know Les, I've been told I'm way too old school on my pricing, haha! I thought it was a bit salty, but who can keep up with what things can sell for these days?

It would definitely be for my own collection Brian, so no thought of resale on my end. If it were $100, or $125 I would've bit immediately, but the $200 still makes me pause. I do agree though that the piece does seem well above average for condition, and might very well be worth the asking price to an Exide specific collector. I guess I have to weigh if I want to pay the price for my enjoyment, since I probably won't be alive when it sells down the line!
Thanks for the replies, and any others,
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Wed Aug 29 2018 08:17 AM.

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
200. for that is a steal, a no doubter - if your going too pass - pass
it on as I would definitely buy without hesitating
if somebody else buys that you'll be whining for a week,
just a little push - a cool piece .. ... cool

RANDY
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Randy! smile

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Thanks for the help and the push....I went to the shop yesterday afternoon and purchased the carrier. I was able to clean it up and it looks pretty good. The shopkeeper tried to get me to leave it so he could talk to the dealer to try and get a better price, but I said with my luck it would sell this Labor Day weekend as there would be an increase in foot traffic. Seems everything I don't buy right away and wait to "think about", always sells in the meantime, then like Randy said I'd think about the missed piece for a week after!
Darin

Ex Ft.jpg Ex Bk.jpg

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cleaned up nice, looks great .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin, glad to see you went 86 on the old school price thinking. That is a very nice piece you added to your collection.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree for two hun its hard to think you paid too much and it cleaned up very well.
I have to ask, being curious, Les what does "went 86" mean? I got "frames, who needs stinking frames" reference but this one escapes me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's an old NY restaurant saying, 86th St was an alley and for the restaurants located there that's where the garbage went. So "86 it" means throw it out. When I was in the Air Force we used that term all the time.

On one of Kevin's posts he talked about getting Mobil restrooms signs but the frame that held them together was missing and questioned could he make them. I think that post is in the value thread. He posted how he hung them which I think turned out nice. I think his post is on the buys of the week thread.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I thought that was an old mob phrase indicating you were going to "disappear". It meant they would take you eight miles out of town and put you six feet under. So if you ticked them off, you'd get "86'ed".

BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Must be a Chicago Midwest thing. I was stationed for a while on the east coast, Massachusetts, mostly right cost guys.

Have gas all the time

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved