Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I wondered if others have the same challenge that I do. I sometimes add to my collection out of purpose. Out of purpose when I look for and find what I have been seeking for my collection (it usually costs me more money). Out of opportunity when I run across a random sign at an incredible price (cannot pass it up and it is much cheaper).

Let me illustrate. My first pic is of the small version of an Indian Gas Pump Plate. I wanted to match my larger version and I had to “pay up” to do so. The second pic is of a Railway Express Agency Sign that I got for a song. It also had a second exact sign bolted to it that paid for the first sign when I sold it (I essentially got a free sign!). Those two examples illustrate the dilemma. If all I did was to buy opportunistically, my collection would look one way. Conversely, if all I did was to buy purposefully my collection would probably look quite different.

I guess the best case scenario (that we all seek) is when opportunity meets purpose...just does not happen that often!

5C12F2F1-2DFD-4E74-99DE-0C0DB22ACEDF.jpeg 46A611D0-B964-4E68-89B8-557D5971A1AC.jpeg
Last edited by Stephenwarren30; Thu Sep 06 2018 07:09 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Starting to collect too late in life seems I pay up for everything, and only collecting one company seems the results are the same.
I do collect tire related things that keeps it interesting and are able to pick them up from time to time what you would call a good deal I guess.
My main short fall is unlike so many others I don't buy to resale,I only buy keepers.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I buy what I like or adds flair to my already too crowded office - shop space . In one case where buying a vintage piece was practical , I was constructing a scale model of the former Zep or Zepplin Diner that was in Hawthorne California . My aim was to re create the Diner , a Gilmore , and eventually , a Richfield and display these three buildings together as the corner of Denver Avenue and Flower used to be about 1935. I found such a map here on the forum and as a result , this took out reams of guesswork as to lot configurations .

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Couldn't agree more.
Always buy what YOU like and you'll never lose.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved