Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MtGoat Offline OP
OP Offline
There is a guy local near me selling about 15 origional pump globes. These two globes are the ones I like, and was hoping someone here might be able to help me on there value.

Thanks Larry

20181107_151309.jpg 20181107_151344.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Larry, have you tried a simple Google search to get an idea of the recent prices these two globes have sold for? Both are relatively common globes. There's likely a fair amount of information you can turn up, between looking at eBay completed sales and the past sales at the major auction houses who sell a lot of petroliana items. John

MtGoat Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks John....i havent done an internet search. I dont do much online. Im sure alot of you older members get tired of answering questions from newbies. I figured this section of the website was for asking value questions but your right info can be found at other places on the internet.

Thanks for the advice.....Larry

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi again, Larry. You're right about the purpose of the "Value" section here on Old Gas. But, I believe what might happen is that some of the more seasoned forum members think newer members are simply being lazy, when they ask here about the value of fairly common petroliana items. I'm referring to pieces that turn up somewhat regularly on eBay or in the specialized gas/oil sales from some of the bigger auction companies. These forum members could think that they acquired their hobby knowledge over many years of time spent, and at some expense for traveling, meals, and maybe even publication subscriptions and resource books and CD's. It may be hard for them to warm up to helping a new or newer member who simply spends a couple of minutes posting here, wanting to pick their brains.

Please understand I'm not saying this is how I feel (or don't feel). And, Larry, I'm certainly NOT picking on you in any way. Again, just sharing what I've observed, and also what I've heard some others say privately. John

MtGoat Offline OP
OP Offline
John I understand, maybe this section of the forum should be deleted if it offends the veteran members for people to ask questions. Im not a youngster , i figure if someone responds they respond. Ive been a collector of many things for many years, a good deal is in the eyes of the guy buying. When learning its great to hear from those with more knowledge but i dont get offended easy. I understand there is a double edged sword collectors buy and sell if someone gives advice on on pricing/value when they buy thats what someone might ask and theyre looking for deals like we all are, on the otherside of the coin when they sell they want retail, lolol it is what it is, just part of the game. Ill add ebay and auctions arent where you find values, they might be indicators but repops and emotions arent real value indicators in the realworld, when selling sure people will tbrow out what auctions are doing but theres more to it than sale prices condition, availability, region etc all play into value.but believe me i get people not wanting to share info, we're are i competion with each other and all looking for that score on both sides of the fence.

Thanks for your reply.
Larry

Last edited by MtGoat; Mon Nov 12 2018 03:46 PM.
Online Content
I am not sure how anybody could give an accurate value based off the photos shown.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

MtGoat Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Ryan. Im not complaining. These were the photos shown to me. I was given the offer to come look at them, but i didnt want to waste his time without a general idea of value.

Thanks for your responce.
Larry

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you're going to collect globes by Scott Benjamin's globe identification and value CD.
I definitely would not count on eBay for values on anything. I've seen pumps and globes sell on there for way above market value. That's like the blind leading the blind. Auctions really aren't much better. A customer that I sold some things to last year went to Barrett-Jackson and paid $26,000 for a Wayne 615. That didn't mean the pump was worth that it just meant that he has more money than he knows what to do with and he wanted the pump.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved