Print Thread
#710203 Fri May 25 2018 10:52 AM
OP Offline
I really appreciate your help in order to get the value, Stencils Texaco
Thanks in advance.

24.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
OP Offline
I really appreciate your help in order to get the value, Marine Texaco 1957
Thanks in advance.

1t.jpg 2t.jpg 3t.jpg 4t.jpg
OP Offline
I really appreciate your help in order to get the value, Marine Texaco 1957
Thanks in advance.

5t.jpg back1.jpg back2.jpg 1t.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sorry, but I believe the Texaco Marine is a reproduction. There are many differences when compared to a known original. In addition, the artwork is very sloppy when compared to an original. As with most reproductions, the chipping is around the edge with no damage in the field? This sign is heavily repopped and all indicators point to this as being one of them.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
OP Offline
Hello friend K W FRITH, the sign has certificate of authentication

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
For what its worth a Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) is only as good as the company/person issuing it. I have seen COA'S for fake items in several collectible fields such as sports memorabilia and coins. I am by no means an expert on signs, but this one does look to be of poor quality. I would be wary of it, even with a COA.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I agree. The O in Texaco looks disproportionate to the others. Fake a sign fake COA

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this will help you determine authenticity .. ... cool

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthre...;Board=5&main=101096&type=thread

RANDY
OP Offline
Hello friend SandPCollector, this sign was of my property it was sold in the year 2016 it is the same lot of the published one, regards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OusjPhT2ieM

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the "you tube" sign is a different sign, they are both reproduction!

You asked for an opinion from collectors who would know the difference, but you seem reluctant to accept the verdict?

It happens a lot in todays sign world when a particular sign cost a lot of money and turns out to be phony!

It is what it is, a reproduction and it cannot be changed.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
As I said earlier I am no expert on signs, but I have been a member of this site for several years and I do read and learn as much as I can from the various posts about all types of fakes and reproductions to educate myself to try to avoid making expensive mistakes. I also know that a COA is simply a piece of paper. Just looking at the pictures of the sign you posted I see multiple red flags that would make me think it to be a modern reproduction. The quality of items manufactured in the 1950's in America would have been much higher than this. The misalignment of the printing of multiple colors, the variance in scale of the lettering and the suspicious wear patterns just shout buyer beware. If you already own this particular sign I would try to get my money back from the person you bought it from. If you are considering buying this sign I would not buy it. As Kevin said, you asked for opinions and I am just giving you mine. Good luck.

Last edited by SandPCollector; Thu Nov 08 2018 10:45 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not a Texaco expert but I have one in my collection, earlier version, so maybe there were changes made over the years but I was very surprised how many details were not the same. This is what I noticed to be the differences from yours to mine, no white space around boats colors butt to green, font on suzanne is different, missing colors to name a few. Too many to list all of them. With that said does anyone know if in fact the graphics were changed over the years. I've been told that the original artwork of the boats were pretty much used consistently going forward.

Have gas all the time
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'll chime in for what it's worth. One question I'm asking myself is, is there an authentic 1957 Texaco Marine sign? If there is, what I would look at is the heart of the sign, the TEXACO LOGO, the circle with the star and T. In my mind that would not change, and be the same on all signs, pump plates etc. except for when they switched from a black T to a white T. What I'm seeing here with this sign is the logo does not match other Texaco signs of this era. This sign has 2 Texaco logos, and they don't even match each other! That should tell you something. It tells me Kevin is spot on!

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved