Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#727961 Wed Apr 10 2019 10:22 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I feel kind of dump asking this question.

I have a Wayne 615 visible gas pump. The measurement numbers inside the glass cylinder seem backwards. They start at 0 (gallons) on the top and then progress downward to 10 (see pic). Can someone enlighten me. It appears to me they should go the other way ( 0 on bottom and 10 on top). Would you not pump the gas into the cylinder and it would fill from bottom to top (if gravity is in play) showing how much gas you have...then release the gas into the vehicle flowing down?

I know there must be a simple explanation but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. Again...please enlighten me in my ignorance!

Thanks in advance!

B1497C22-C876-487B-8CC3-5F2A4FD92B55.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
When they had a sale you would pump until cylinder was full (drain back tube) then fill car when done it would read gallons sold...

I collect Phillips 66 and globes pumps & signs esp Iowa co.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Its not set up as gravity feed pump,notice the nozzle. so cylinder stays full before discharge of fuel. If you pump 2 gallon it will show 2 gallon gone into your tank.

If it was set up as gravity feed you would have gate valve which was closed , filled to your desired purchase of gallon amount ,gate valve opened and it dumped into your auto.
And yes 0 to 10 would be from bottom up.

Hope this makes sense.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
That makes perfect since.
Thanks Preston!

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
A visible pump is gravity feed. I think you mean empty cylinder or full cylinder. What you describe is actually dry hose vs wet hose delivery.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
My bad DB and I had couple of late night talks , when I was trying to grasp the difference. DB talking and me listening,

His late night talks always left it for you to process what he just said.

Then you questioned what you processed was what he was saying.LOL!

Anyway the way he described it as roads improved and autos done the same the need for more fuel for further distance was needed.

so many gravity feeds were converted to full cylinder , wet hose, and numbers flipped. Also that 5 gallons became less used and 10 gallon became the norm., some 5 gallons were converted,

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am kind of lost. I don’t understand the two concepts.

However I do have a further question. If upon a “fill up” all 10 gallons of gas were manually pumped into the cylinder, if the buyer only purchased 8 gallons, would the remaining 2 gallons of gas remain in the cylinder until the next customer came and refilled the cylinder...or did the remaining amount drain into the drain valve?

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I would think they would have filled cylinder to the amount the customer wanted I doubt they left it in there.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
There is usually a drain back on the pumps. Many pumps have internal valves marked "return to tank" or "return to storage"

I've been confused on this as well. My T-176 had no gate valve, hose, or nozzle when I purchased it. I had a spare hose and nozzle so I installed it just to complete the look. It might not be correct.

My question is... in the "wet hose delivery" method. How do you account for all the fuel inside the hose between the nozzle and cylinder? The fuel has to fill this void before it registers on the gallon markers correct? Our family store used visible pumps for years and I doubt that the old timers let that fuel slip by.

Wanted: Parts for G&B 177, Wayne 100, Erie 129
Also looking for any info on Southern States pumps
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Remember--- there was no self serve back then ( that's my guess)

I collect Phillips 66 and globes pumps & signs esp Iowa co.
Online Cool
Originally Posted by RedBkm
My question is... in the "wet hose delivery" method. How do you account for all the fuel inside the hose between the nozzle and cylinder? The fuel has to fill this void before it registers on the gallon markers correct? Our family store used visible pumps for years and I doubt that the old timers let that fuel slip by.

In all wet hose systems, the hose stays full of fuel before and after the sale. So the measurement in the cylinder shows how much the cylinder volume has gone down during a delivery session. You don't have to measure the fuel in the hose unless you run the cylinder and hose dry and have to refill the hose to start the next session. The vendor would be cheating himself if he did that.

Here is a "Wet Hose / Dry Hose" explanation in this forum's Frequently Asked Questions section:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=307687

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Originally Posted by Oldgas

Here is a "Wet Hose / Dry Hose" explanation in this forum's Frequently Asked Questions section:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=307687

Thank you Jim. I've looked in the FAQ a couple of times and never read the gallon numbers post. Good info.

Now I need to switch my markers around to coordinate with the wet hose system.

Wanted: Parts for G&B 177, Wayne 100, Erie 129
Also looking for any info on Southern States pumps

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved