Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Hi all. I have this charger and it's hard to find values. Someone told me about 400us $. ??

It's complete I think. Made in Toronto and it has ford on the guage. The correct bulb is in there as well as the wiring. It's in nice shape.

Apparently a very rare item.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx

IMG_20190512_182809377.jpg IMG_20190512_182901716.jpg IMG_20190512_184057938.jpg IMG_20190512_182829751.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Avatar. Just an informational comment, and certainly not cutting on your battery charger in any way. I wonder if someone perhaps switched in a replacement ammeter years ago. I believe the ammeters on the old tube-type battery chargers could easily get fried, when the rectifier tube failed (shorted internally). Back in the day, mechanics and garage people made do with what they had around, and probably wouldn't have spent the money to obtain a "factory replacement" ammeter..

The Ford ammeter (made by Hoyt) currently in place on your charger is most likely from an automobile or truck. You'll note the meter face shows both charge and discharge, rather than just "charge", as we'd expect with a battery charger ammeter. Hoyt is based in New Hampshire, and began making electrical instruments of all kinds in the early 1900's. Many were used in radios and cars in the teens and 1920's. And, many of their panel meters of that period used the same three-hole mounting pattern. I believe the company is still in business. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Sun May 12 2019 07:39 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
I was told the rectifier is original. That's the big bulb. So u are saying it's been replaced? Not sure what is the ammeter. Confused.

Secondly if this bulb has been replaced.is it technically a battery charger?

I have extremely limited knowledge on functioning parts, so I hope I'm not sounding too iliterate
Lol

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
No problem....I understand you're trying to learn more about your battery charger. First off, thanks for your cordial reply. As you said, the rectifier tube is the big glass bulb item. No problem, even if it was replaced at some point in time. Think of it as buying a vintage radio, and one or more of its receiving tubes had been replaced at some point in time....not a big deal to many collectors.

The ammeter is the black and white meter that says "Ford" and "Hoyt Instrument" on it. That's the item I mentioned perhaps has been replaced at some point in the past. As I indicated, it looks more like a Ford automobile/truck ammeter, than a battery charger ammeter to me. I already shared my reasons for thinking this in the post above. The only reason I initially offered my opinion was for you to consider doing a little more research on this ammeter change-out (years ago) possibility. Perhaps some other Old Gas members will offer their opinions, too. If it turns out the Ford ammeter is not original to this battery charger, then what you have available would not be considered a Ford battery charger by most people, but rather a Durable Electric Appliance Co. battery charger. This would have quite an impact on the value of the charger to most collectors.

I appreciate your desire to learn more about your item....and, best of luck to you on the sale of this interesting item. John

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved