Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#729802 Mon May 20 2019 09:33 PM
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was curious if anyone else had run into this issue as it’s nearly forced me off of eBay entirely. Since the turn of 2019, I’ve had to pay over 8% sales tax on EVERY SINGLE PURCHASE on eBay. That adds up as our hobby gets more and more expensive. It no longer matters if the item is in the same state, or country for that matter, if it’s through a private seller or store. I’m no lawyer, but from what I read there are 8 states (NJ included) that have agreed to allow the IRS to perform this BS tax collection and, for me, it’s the final straw with eBay. I used to sell and buy a couple thousand dollars worth of items each month on eBay as just a casual collector. I’m now down to a couple hundred dollars either way, at best, as I refuse to pay an extra nearly 10% on everything I buy. This is, of course, in addition to the plethora of other issues with eBay from fakes and fees to frauds. Anyone else run into this issue or know what the heck eBay is doing?

Last edited by RedHat; Mon May 20 2019 09:48 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
RedHat #729803 Mon May 20 2019 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
they start this here "Taxes may be applicable at checkout. Learn more" will force a lot of people back too the swap meets .. ... cool

received this May 3rd from ebay so it must be coming here in Calif.

eBay
Dear Buyer,

eBay is now legally required to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers, for items shipped to buyers in certain states. If you are a tax-exempt buyer (e.g. a charitable entity, reseller etc.), you can submit a tax exemption certificate to eBay and make purchases on ebay.com without paying tax.

How to qualify for tax exemption on eBay
Please upload a valid Exemption Certificate here (select “General Information” in the drop down menu). Include the following information in the Comments section:
• Contact Name
• Business Name
• eBay username

It may take 10-14 days for us to process your tax exemption status on eBay. We will send you an email confirmation when it has been completed.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay sellers, directly from your state. You should consult a tax advisor or contact the Department of Revenue for your state for further details, as policies are different for each state.

For more details and FAQs on when tax is applicable on your eBay purchases, visit our Help page.

Thank you,
eBay

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
these are the states too be taxed so far: .. ... cool

eBay sales tax collection:

Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following states:

Minnesota -

Washington

Iowa

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Nebraska

New Jersey

Alabama

Oklahoma

Pennsylvania

South Dakota

South Carolina

Last edited by advertologist; Mon May 20 2019 10:41 PM.

RANDY
RedHat #729826 Tue May 21 2019 12:59 PM
O
O
I just sold a vintage license plate to some one in Iowa, as I sent my invoice I noticed there was 6% sales tax added on. I'd not run into this before so I called eBay, the person I talked to first of all spoke very poor English and really had no clue what I was asking. I just took it off my invoice and sent the invoice on. I wonder if an Iowa tax collector is going to come after me for the 1.20$??? I've also about had it with FEE BAY.

RedHat #729829 Tue May 21 2019 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I havent seen this yet. So it's NOT taken from the seller as another fee, but tacked on top of the buyers cost immediately upon purchase? I'm surprised ebay didnt figure out a way to screw their sellers over on this, it's their approach typically. Every fee I need to eat as a seller just gets tacked on to the price, so just confirming I dont need to increase all my ebay listings prices, again... I wonder if shipping is taxed as well.

All the states (or most of them) will have this soon.

I actually dont think its right the internet is tax free and brick and mortar stores have to charge sales tax, BUT ebay is already expensive enough as is.

I've also been waiting for the day when we get 1099 tax forms from ebay, I imagine that day is coming too.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Tue May 21 2019 04:15 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
RedHat #729830 Tue May 21 2019 05:15 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
eBay does send 1099's Out, but i think you Need to sell $20 K per year to get one

Have you see Craigslist lately ? car adds now cost $5.00 Bucks per Car , I was told eBay Bought Craigslist so soon all the ads will cost .eBay to me is a rip off

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
trifiver #729833 Tue May 21 2019 06:00 PM
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you for the info, Randy! It definitely seems like something that will eventually spread to every state. Hopefully it takes a while to get to you guys.

Originally Posted by openwheeler12
wonder if an Iowa tax collector is going to come after me for the 1.20$??? I've also about had it with FEE BAY.

That’d be a hell of a story if they did 😂

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I wonder if shipping is taxed as well.

All the states (or most of them) will have this soon.

I wouldn’t be suprised honestly. The fact that they charge a 10% seller’s fee (and the PayPal fee 2.5% plus 50 cents on every transaction) on the shipping costs a seller charges a buyer would speak to that. I understand that in the earlier “Wild West” days of eBay, Sellers would skirt fees by charging all of the item’s cost in the shipping and listing the item price as $1....but today, when shipping THROUGH eBay’s postage system, there is no way to cheat it. They just keep pushing to see what they can get away with it seems 🤷‍♂️

Originally Posted by trifiver

Have you see Craigslist lately ? car adds now cost $5.00 Bucks per Car , I was told eBay Bought Craigslist so soon all the ads will cost .eBay to me is a rip off

Sid

Seriously? I’ve not seen that yet, that’s crazy! Leave it to eBay to ruin everything they touch lol

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
RedHat #729844 Tue May 21 2019 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I live in Iowa and I bought an expensive oil can after the first of the year. Went to check out and there was an extra 7% tacked on. Contacted the seller and they said they did not do that but Ebay had. On my Paypal account it showed a payment to the seller for the correct amount plus shipping and another payment to Ebay for the tax. Not happy as it was not disclosed any place!!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #729846 Tue May 21 2019 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by keithia
I live in Iowa and I bought an expensive oil can after the first of the year. Went to check out and there was an extra 7% tacked on. Contacted the seller and they said they did not do that but Ebay had. On my Paypal account it showed a payment to the seller for the correct amount plus shipping and another payment to Ebay for the tax. Not happy as it was not disclosed any place!!

Typical ebay, that should have been disclosed upon bidding. They probably have it written into the fine print user agreement that no own reads. Looking forward to getting requests for sale cancellation or price reductions from buyers because of the additional tax.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Tue May 21 2019 11:40 PM.

RedHat #729850 Wed May 22 2019 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
This state tax charge could be the final straw for ebay sellers.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
trifiver #729851 Wed May 22 2019 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by trifiver
eBay does send 1099's Out, but i think you Need to sell $20 K per year to get one

Sid

The company was believed to be owned principally by Newmark, Buckmaster and eBay (the three board members). eBay owned approximately 25%, and Newmark is believed to own the largest stake. In April 2008, eBay announced it was suing Craigslist to "safeguard its four-year financial investment".
Founder(s): Craig Newmark
Key people: Jim Buckmaster (CEO)
Net income: US$500 million (2016)
Revenue: US$694 million (2016)
Craigslist - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigsli

RedHat #729856 Wed May 22 2019 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ive gotten 1099 for 2017 and 2018 both were under $800

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
RedHat #729857 Wed May 22 2019 10:11 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
From Craigslist Posting

Automotive-by-Owner Ads
Rules and Resources for paid automotive-by-owner postings

Q. What is the fee for paid automotive ads?

A. $5.

Q. How long do paid automotive listings last?

A. 30 days.

Q. What about reposts and renewing / renewals of existing ads?

A. Reposts cost the same as a new ad ($5). The renewal feature is not available in paid categories. To move an existing ad to the top of the listings, use the repost option (see: reposting paid ads)

Q. What forms of payment are accepted?

A. VISA, Mastercard, American Express.

Q. How do I pay for a posting?

A. You will be prompted for payment at the end of the posting process.

Q. Are paid ads subject to automated deletion due to user flagging?

A. No. Paid ads flagged by users are reviewed by staff prior to any deletions.

Q. Do I need a craigslist account to post?

A. No.

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
RedHat #729861 Wed May 22 2019 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Seeing many eBay sellers now state "No Paypal,E-check only" in their ads to cut down on costs too.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
RedHat #729864 Wed May 22 2019 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
How does that work? The e-check thing? Anybody know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved